Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: More Pix For A Laugh
« Last post by MetalDog on Today at 06:18:15 PM »
No more than it takes for you to get to the toilet.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Strategic Command Classic competition
« Last post by JasonPratt on Today at 06:09:06 PM »
If you've (the Soviets) managed to make it through to the winter of '41, the Germans are in deep poo poo. :knuppel2:

Upgraded for accuracy. Quoted for truth.  :hide:
Forum-Based Games / Re: THE GROGPUBLIC OF ROME
« Last post by JasonPratt on Today at 05:56:41 PM »
The rules kinnnnnnnd of boil down to this:

0.) Setup Phase: fully automatic, Players do nothing. I’ll create the scenario decks; set up the board; deal at least two family Senators to each Player (reporting their stats); randomly deal one hidden Faction card to each Players (p-mailing each player as to what card you've got and what it does and when you can use it); and randomly assign one Senator of one Player as a temporary Consul.  I’ll assign a Faction type to each player based on current Senator stats (and explain your Faction’s special skills). This will also assign the "clockwise order" around the table. At that point I'll report initial conditions to the Forum, and provide some snapshots so players can be introduced to their factions.

00.) Turn Zero: Running clockwise from whoever holds the temporary Consul, each player will choose one of your Senators as your Faction Leader (I’ll explain why that’s important) and decide whether to hold or play a few types of Faction cards to buff your Senators early. (Most Faction cards can’t be played until parts of the Republican system have been established, however. In the first several turns Players will be ‘building’ the Republic.)

Those two Phases won’t be repeated. Each Turn will consist of 7 other Phases, with Turn 1 having a few special rules which I’ll explain at the time.

1.) Mortality Phase: an entirely automatic phase, this randomly checks if any senators die from indirect causes (even on the first turn!). It also advances some Imminent Wars to Active.

2.) Revenue Phase: a somewhat automatic phase, where all the normal money generation and billing happens. Previously exchanged money among Factions gets activated here, and similar exchanges can be made without delay. Players can also move money between senator and faction treasuries, and direct senators to donate to Rome's treasury. A GAME LOSING PHASE if Rome can’t pay its bills.

3.) Forum Phase: This is where Scenario or else Random Event cards are rolled, drawn and played, one for each Player (all of which is automatic one way or another). Each Player, one after the other, will also spend a round working out a sequence of four or five relatively simple choices for your Faction (early in the game more like one or two choices), while I’ll do some potentially complicated automatic stuff behind the scenes.

4.) Population Phase: a short entirely automatic phase, dealing with civil unrest. A GAME LOSING PHASE if Players haven’t been successfully managing the slings of outrageous fortune.

5.) Senate Phase: a highly regimented player interaction and choice phase (with some automation). Each Turn, Players must vote Senators into various offices, and vote on some Republic administrative choices. Assassinations can be attempted here, too! The Senate Phase is the meat of each Turn. Early in the game there isn't much specific business to vote on.

6.) Combat Phase: wars play out now. Usually entirely automatic. A GAME LOSING PHASE if 4 or more Wars remain Active after the Combat Phase!

7.) Revolution Phase: Players each take a round to buff up their Senators with Statesmen and Concessions; discard (or donate) down to <=5 Faction cards; and (if valid) decide whether to rebel.

After that, the next Turn starts with the automatic Mortality Phase.

To recap: each Player has a few choices to make in the Revenue Phase; a few choices in the Forum Phase; a number of things to hash out together and vote on during the Senate Phase; and a few choices to make in the Revolution phase. Most of your choices and actions will be during the Senate Phase; and I take care of all the automation.

Tomorrow I'll list and explain the 8 Faction types.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Strategic Command Classic competition
« Last post by Millipede on Today at 05:53:40 PM »
Well, one of us is for sure. The other is enjoying planning for the rematch.  >:D

After a bleak start for the Soviets (I can't count the number of armies/corps destroyed in the German offensive) the shoe is on the other foot now. :)

If you've (the Soviets) managed to make it through the winter of '41, the Germans are in deep poo poo. :knuppel2:

Yep...one of my first as well. Played it all the time until Red Storm Rising game out. That took over scratching my submarine itch.

Any of you guys have an “Odyssey” game system? It came out in the late 70’s/early 80’s before the Atari/intellivision/coleco consoles. It was always hooked up to the TV in the basement and there were really only two games to play on it: “combat!” And “Wizards of Wor”

My family had the older Odyssey 3000.  I remember you had to select your game from a dial on the console, and play with two attached paddles.  I only really remember Pong.

We upgraded to the Atari 2600 in early '80 
Organizations and Equipment / DOD IG Open Issues Report
« Last post by OJsDad on Today at 04:13:48 PM »
Last year, the DOD IG published a compendium on issues that the IGs office had identified, but had not been closed, i.e. corrected.  This year, they have produced an updated compendium.  This is something they plan on doing every year going forward. 

https://media.defense.gov/2018/Aug/06/2001950876/-1/-1/1/2018%20COMPENDIUM.PDF

Last year there were 1,298 recommendations.  DOD closed 421.

This year, there are 1,558 recommendations.  It will be intersting to see how many they close this year.

13-14 August

The election map is looking increasingly bad, with the Republicans. Now projected to have only 50 seats, with three toss-ups.  With only 2 CPs, I am limited to running an ad in North Dakota and targeting Arizona.

Computer Wargaming / Re: Combat Mission status
« Last post by RyanE on Today at 04:05:30 PM »
And that's seven drivers in six months that I have had no issue with in any other game.  CM is the only game I have ever had to downgrade my driver for.  Beating a dead horse again that BFC is becoming very narrowly limited with the systems it can play on out of the box.

Graviteam, Stealbeasts, ARMA2/3, X-Plane (OpenGL), IL2: BOS, Command, and a number of smaller titles on Steam and with Matrix.  Not a single one have I ever had to retro any drivers, regularly contact support, turn off my AV, or whitelist a directory, or have to limit the game to one CPU core. 

Are all of them perfect, no, they aren't.  But since Graviteam gave up its bizzare patching, and discounting SB's stupid dongle policy, BFC comes out on top for the most effort to reinstall.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Combat Mission status
« Last post by Elvis on Today at 03:54:52 PM »
I'm not going to beat this driver conversation like a dead horse. But to explain what I have seen. Not everyone with this particular driver experienced it. If that were the case and it was a more permanent set up with nVidia then sure, you'd have to look at changing something within the game. But this seemingly random combination that affected a very few (I would guess at least half of the players here have nVidia cards and many have or had the February driver and didn't miss a beat). I was fortunate to have found a quick and easy fix for anyone who did contact me and had it. If it had been a more widespread issue I would have dug into it more deeply and now that I am typing this I wish that I had. My standard first suggestion to folks with crashes over the years is to ask them to update their drivers. I should have done this in the case of the parson who posted here because looking at the GeForce driver page there have been 7 new drivers since the problematic February release. Seven.....in 6 months.....

So, I'll change my initial reply to stolypin should have been:

Try updating your video card drivers. If it doesn't help open up a ticket on the Help Desk.

(Lesson, once again, learned)

Forum-Based Games / Re: THE GROGPUBLIC OF ROME
« Last post by IncompetentIdiot on Today at 03:35:48 PM »
I've yet to work my way through the rules, but consider me provisionally interested!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10