Black Panther, meh.

Started by Centurion40, February 16, 2018, 10:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Movie Bob says otherwise  :-\

Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I didn't like the original X-Men trilogy all that much.

But, I REALLY liked how they incorporated some characters/elements into the following X-Men movies...pretty cool.

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 19, 2018, 06:34:43 AM

If I waxed rhapsodical about the Passion of the Christ (a flawed but genuinely artistic film) or the God is Not Dead films (flawed and not particularly artistic films -- both examples chosen partly because Bob loathes them ;) ), you might suspect, also given my strong ideological beliefs, that I'm letting my ideology get the better of my critical judgment. And Bob has shown increasing SJW partisanship over the years.

I honestly can't imagine him giving this movie a meh rating and calling down upon himself the fury of social shaming, the likes of which were thrown at the guy who broke the 100% tomatorating for a similarly meh review.

(Edited to clarify: I watched MovieBob's review a few days ago when he first released it.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Mike and Jay from RLM... mostly Mike, echoed (in a more educated and eloquent way) my feelings. I had high hopes for this movie. The undercover operative stuff was good for me. The ceremonial stuff was not.
Any time is a good time for pie.

JasonPratt

I appreciated how Mike and Jay each had different things they most liked about the story (although each was bored by what each other liked!) -- as well as wanting to see more of some things. It was a highly nuanced and sober review.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 19, 2018, 08:59:43 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 19, 2018, 06:34:43 AM

If I waxed rhapsodical about the Passion of the Christ (a flawed but genuinely artistic film) or the God is Not Dead films (flawed and not particularly artistic films -- both examples chosen partly because Bob loathes them ;) ), you might suspect, also given my strong ideological beliefs, that I'm letting my ideology get the better of my critical judgment. And Bob has shown increasing SJW partisanship over the years.

I honestly can't imagine him giving this movie a meh rating and calling down upon himself the fury of social shaming, the likes of which were thrown at the guy who broke the 100% tomatorating for a similarly meh review.

(Edited to clarify: I watched MovieBob's review a few days ago when he first released it.)
On the otherhand - he hated 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - a film I thought was fantastic. It's funny how you mentioned SJW...because it was that kind of perspective that showed right through in his review of 3 Billboards. Slamming the film for even briefly mentioning rape, drugs, bad police blah, blah, blah.

So I'm not saying he's right or wrong - I was putting an alternative on the boards.

I thought Black Panther was good - edging on very good - but I didn't think it was as good as he made out. I would put 3 Billboards way ahead of this movie if I had to go and see either again.

Black Panther - 6.5
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Just back from seeing BP. Liked it a lot. Wouldn't say it is the best MCU movie, but it is definitely one of the better ones.

The criticisms are few and minor:

• Too much CGI (but this is a problem with most comic book movies)
  • Klaue got taken out pretty early. Andy Serkis has done a good job with the role and was largely wasted in Age of Ultron and BP.
  • I can't figure out why T'Chaka wouldn't have taken the boy (and N'Jobu's body) back to Wakanda. Other than needing to have a plot for this movie.
Some of the things I really liked:

• Michael B. Jordan was a relatable villain. Not just the standard, "I'm evil and want to destroy the universe" of most MCU baddies.
  • The Dora Milaje were totally badass. In fact, the female leads were pretty badass. And they were more interesting than their male counterparts. Give me a female Black Panther movie.
  • Liked the ending and the post credit stuff.
Solid Marvel movie. I give it an 'A'.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Hopefully Marvel Girl will be good, too.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

MIGMaster

Took the family to go see it and both girls liked it, while my son and I were not all that impressed. I found it very long and the long lost kid - who turned Navy SEAL and later bad guy just seemed so clichè. My opinion appears to be in the minority - at least in the mainstream press, etc....

mirth

It was better than what they did with Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 24, 2018, 07:42:28 PM

Hayden Christiansen's Anakin Skywalker is better than Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 24, 2018, 08:00:07 PM
Quote from: mirth on February 24, 2018, 07:42:28 PM

Hayden Christiansen's Anakin Skywalker is better than Mandarin in Iron Man 3.

ouch

BanzaiCat

I get what they were trying to do, and in a way I kind of respect it for going out on a limb like that, but Iron Man comics were my main read when I was a kid, and Mandarin was of course his arch-enemy for decades. What they did was totally womp wooommmmp.

mirth

It was lame and a waste of Ben Kingsley. Guy Pearce was not a good villain either.