What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

I finished 'Les Miserables' not too long ago. Its actually quite hard going in places although it is a good story. Unfortunately, he often goes off into descriptions of places and people that really don't mean much unless you are familiar with 19th century France.

I admit it took me quite a time to finish it as I would leave it for periods and then go back to it.

I also recently finished the 2 volumes by Hozier about the Franco-Prussian War and the subsequent uprising in Paris. Victor Hugo's name crops up several times as a participant.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

W8taminute

I just picked up this book last week:

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Staggerwing

Makes you wonder what subliminal process caused to the ice planet in Empire Strikes Back to be named 'Hoth'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I got that one in my library right now W8. Good book but I wish it had been longer.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pinetree

Just started this. Single-volume history of the NZ Div in WW2. Great read so far, lots of photos, tables and maps.

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

WallysWorld

Finished Prit Buttar's "Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914" which gives a good detailed account of the fighting and decision making.

Just started his "Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915".

Also finished "July 1914: Countdown to War" by Sean McMeekin. The book provides great insight into the political and diplomatic thinking during the July Crisis and how war could have been adverted many times.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Sir Slash

Buttar's books about WWI on the Eastern Front are great. The third book is, "Russia's Last Gasp" and the fourth and final book is due out in September if I remember correctly and already on my 'must have' list.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

WallysWorld

Yes, I am working my way through Buttar's series. I really liked Norman Stone's book on the Eastern Front too.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Gusington

One day I will read all of Buttar's books. Slash has got me started, like a drug dealer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

You fargin' bastages. Added that Collision of Empires to my wishlist.

W8taminute

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 12, 2017, 05:40:40 PM
Makes you wonder what subliminal process caused to the ice planet in Empire Strikes Back to be named 'Hoth'.

I know right?

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 12, 2017, 06:55:52 PM
I got that one in my library right now W8. Good book but I wish it had been longer.

Yeah and the print is really big which is great for my old tired eyes but I can already tell after finishing the first chapter that I wish there was more.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

airboy

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 12, 2017, 07:37:17 PM
Finished Prit Buttar's "Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914" which gives a good detailed account of the fighting and decision making.

Just started his "Germany Ascendant: The Eastern Front 1915".

Also finished "July 1914: Countdown to War" by Sean McMeekin. The book provides great insight into the political and diplomatic thinking during the July Crisis and how war could have been adverted many times.

I've read Collision and it was very good.

OJsDad

I  just read the first book in the Axis of Time trilogy, Weapons of Choice.  I thought it was so-so.

1.  I would have loved for the author to spend more time describing the ships, their systems, and their designed uses.  There were bits and pieces of this, but there seemed to be so much left unsaid. 

2.  It's touched on a few times, but not really explored, on the fact that the weapons they brought with them, is all they're going to have for a long time.  There should have been a more thought put into how best to use those weapons.  The knowledge that the Allies would win and about how long it would take was brought back.  Yamamoto was right that the Allies wasted a lot of weapons using them the way they did. 

3.  It seemed like the author was trying to pursue too many story lines, but never seemed to progress them very far or in much depth.  I understand this is just the first book, but they just seemed hollow.

4.  The best thing that I think the author did was the social impacts and conflicts when throwing people from 80 years difference together.  It might have been nice to see Nimitz or FDR drop the hammer on a couple of flag officers with an either accept it or your out ultimatum. 

I'll probably get the other books, but I'm not in a hurry to get them. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on July 17, 2017, 06:52:26 PM
I  just read the first book in the Axis of Time trilogy, Weapons of Choice.  I thought it was so-so.

1.  I would have loved for the author to spend more time describing the ships, their systems, and their designed uses.  There were bits and pieces of this, but there seemed to be so much left unsaid. 

2.  It's touched on a few times, but not really explored, on the fact that the weapons they brought with them, is all they're going to have for a long time.  There should have been a more thought put into how best to use those weapons.  The knowledge that the Allies would win and about how long it would take was brought back.  Yamamoto was right that the Allies wasted a lot of weapons using them the way they did. 

3.  It seemed like the author was trying to pursue too many story lines, but never seemed to progress them very far or in much depth.  I understand this is just the first book, but they just seemed hollow.

4.  The best thing that I think the author did was the social impacts and conflicts when throwing people from 80 years difference together.  It might have been nice to see Nimitz or FDR drop the hammer on a couple of flag officers with an either accept it or your out ultimatum. 

I'll probably get the other books, but I'm not in a hurry to get them.

I mostly liked it.  But the female NYT writer who suddenly gained automatic weapons skills was annoying if I'm remembering correctly.