What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Finished Patrick Rambaud's "The Battle: A Novel". A good historical novel about the Battle of Aspern-Essling as told by the French side.

Now reading "In the Hour of Victory: The Royal Navy at War in the Age of Nelson" by Sam Willis which goes into great detail about the dispatches written by the Royal Navy commanders that took part in the major battles.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

While I knew this on the far, faaaarrrr periphery of my (already somewhat limited) American Civil War knowledge, I was reminded by HistoryBuff's nice video on the film Gettysburg (comparing the film to real life), that the British Lt. Col. Arthur Lyon Fremantle was present as an observer at the battle, while on his three month vacation tour through the South during the War. (He wasn't an official observer, he just thought it would be awesome to go take a tour of the American war, and traveled around with official delegates, semi-pretending to be a delegate.)

After being reminded this guy existed, I wondered if he had published an account afterward, and yes indeed he did: Three Months in the Southern States. I found an excellent printed edition in paperback here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0995074712

One has to account for his various prejudices of course -- he's a clear example of how someone can be both technically anti-slavery, and also dyed-in-the-wool racist; also a class elitist -- but it's a fascinating snapshot of the Southern war right at the turning of the tide, from April through June 1863.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

I'm currently reading 'The History of Napoleon Buoaparte' by J.G.Lockhart. Its a free Kindle download.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

jamus34

Currently reading "Master and Commander" by Patrick OBrien
Insert witty comment here.

trailrunner

Quote from: jamus34 on February 22, 2018, 04:20:13 PM
Currently reading "Master and Commander" by Patrick OBrien

:bd:

trailrunner

My daughter gave me this book a while ago for Christmas or my birthday, and I just got around to reading it.  I did not realize that it was about Mathews County, Virginia.  30 pages into it so far, and so far I'm enjoying it.

Gusington

For anyone keeping score, Revenger by Alastair Reynolds is not so good. I'm skimming through the rest of it to move on. Some of the reviews on Amazon are pretty scathing and I agree with some of them. I probably should have tried some other Reynolds first.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Starting Ancestral Machines by Michael Cobley for the second time. It is 4x space opera. First time I tried I got 20 pages in and it required too much thought. So I'm trying again.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Hornfischer's The Fleet at Flood Tide
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Gusington

About to start The Cold War, A Global History by Odd Arne Westad.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Last of the Breed by Louis  L'Amour.

Sir Slash

The Battles and Campaigns of Nathan Bedford Forrest by Gen. John Scales.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on March 04, 2018, 09:07:35 PM
Last of the Breed by Louis  L'Amour.

The only L'Amour novel I've read is his last: The Haunted Mesa, written just after Last of the Breed. A very different kettle of fish though. Let us know what you think.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys