What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on September 12, 2017, 02:39:24 PM
Has anyone tried Larry Bond's Red Dragon Rising series?

I picked up the first book from the library this week and started reading it. It's going right back to the library. Basically unreadable imo. Clancy at his worst is better than anything Bond has done.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on September 20, 2017, 06:01:33 PM
Let me know how Vanguard #1 is.

Will do. Only 20 or so pages in, but pretty good so far.

jamus34

Quote from: mirth on September 21, 2017, 09:42:21 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on September 12, 2017, 02:39:24 PM
Has anyone tried Larry Bond's Red Dragon Rising series?

I picked up the first book from the library this week and started reading it. It's going right back to the library. Basically unreadable imo. Clancy at his worst is better than anything Bond has done.

I think I read Cauldron and while I was able to finish it I agree with the above sentiment on Bonds' work.
Insert witty comment here.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on September 21, 2017, 09:42:21 AM
Basically unreadable imo. Clancy at his worst is better than anything Bond has done.

I tried so hard to like Bond. And Coyle. I just don't get how anyone can be so prolific and so mediocre at the same time (e.g. Turtledove, that shithead).

mirth

I've tried reading Bond several times in the past 30 years. Usually about once every 10 years. Each time, I am immediately reminded why I don't read his stuff.

mirth

And I'd read Bond any day over Turtledove. What dreck he writes.

Gusington

+1 for excellent usage of 'dreck.'

I read Cauldron when I was 15-16 and loved it. Haven't read any Bond since.

In the next week or two I am finally getting around to cracking open my illustrated copy of Salem's Lot! Psyched for that. BTW Stephen King turns 70 today 👍

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on September 21, 2017, 12:41:21 PM
BTW Stephen King turns 70 today 👍

Yes he does. Local paper had an article on it.

Greybriar

Quote from: mirth on September 21, 2017, 10:20:35 AM
And I'd read Bond any day over Turtledove. What dreck he writes.

Different strokes for different folks. Live with it.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth