What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on July 17, 2017, 06:52:26 PM
I  just read the first book in the Axis of Time trilogy, Weapons of Choice.  I thought it was so-so.

I read 'em a few years ago and your assessment of "so-so" reflects my view as well. Lot of potential in that storyline but execution wasn't what it could have been.

Gusington

Just began the Steampunk Cthuhlu compilation, ~15 different authors and stories.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'Revelation Space' trilogy by Alastair Reynolds.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Just finished Horowitz' second article/speech collection. It's sort of mindblowing to be reminded that back in the 90s the Clintons were intentionally deprecating national security resulting in major leaks to Russia and even selling military secrets. We clearly got grazed by that bullet again! (Though whether we dodged into another bullet remains to be seen...  :hide: )

Back to It Never Snows in September.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Just started Teddy Suhren, Ace of Aces: Memoirs of a U-Boat Rebel. A little short for my taste (only 224 pages), but still, a great read so far.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

You're a great read? Or a U-Boat captain?

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

And too short for some people's tastes.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

The book is a little short...I don't get but about 15 minutes a night or so to read and I'm almost 3/4 of the way through it.

Labbug

Finally finished the last book of "A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steve Erikson.

Greybriar

I finished reading Coup d'État and Two Fronts, books 4 and 5 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove. I am now reading Last Orders, the 6th and last book of the series.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Labbug on August 08, 2017, 08:30:27 AM
Finally finished the last book of "A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steve Erikson.

I've heard good things about the series, but haven't tried getting into it yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Labbug

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 08, 2017, 01:07:19 PM
Quote from: Labbug on August 08, 2017, 08:30:27 AM

I've heard good things about the series, but haven't tried getting into it yet.

I enjoyed the read but you do have to put some effort into it.  There are many characters and many threads with one over arching story.  It can be hard to keep things straight.