What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 08:02:21 AM
That's one of the few series that actually gets better the further into it you get...at least for those first three or four books.

The problem I had was the basic formula was pretty much the same in every book.  Big bad threatens, good guys lose the first fight (usually because of some betrayal), good guys lick their wounds and find some clever way to win the desperate final battle. Rinse, repeat in the next book.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Try reading the Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham. The guy that writes it should be what hack fraud Turtledove and his legion of no-name equally-awful copycats should aspire to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_of_Time

The characters are both fictional and historical, the situations believable, the character interaction interesting, and the action is all kinds of awesome. Check out the first book in the series.

The premise is way the hell out there but pfft, if it's well written you can easily overlook that. I devoured all three books in the series and I'm one of the harshest judges of alt-history (see: Turtledove (natch), Robert Conroy, et al).

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 08:06:15 AM
Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 08:02:21 AM
That's one of the few series that actually gets better the further into it you get...at least for those first three or four books.

The problem I had was the basic formula was pretty much the same in every book.  Big bad threatens, good guys lose the first fight (usually because of some betrayal), good guys lick their wounds and find some clever way to win the desperate final battle. Rinse, repeat in the next book.

True enough. But you really get a feel for how ingenious humans can be, when they put aside their differences and have a common enemy. The time period is perfect since so many soldiers of the time came from so many backgrounds, they really were a microcosm of society and could easily create a mini-industrial revolution on the planet they were on.

One thing I wanted to see more of in that series was, more of a history of how it happened instead of the occasional dribbits of info from the people-eaters. It's pretty obvious they devolved greatly from what they once were; I wanted to read about how that happened. Not sure if he gets into it in the later books or not. I know they got their airships from the 'burial mounds' and some aliens died from what was apparently radiation poisoning, but he didn't get much further into it.

Gusington

Thanks BC, I will. Come for the alt history, stay for the hack/fraud! I love it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Hahahaha  :bd:

The Axis of Time trilogy has all kinds of tongue-in-cheek references, too, that are hilarious. Some are less subtle than others. For example, the flagship of the multinational fleet is the supercarrier USS Hillary Clinton, "the United States' greatest wartime president."  :2funny: ;D Before you let that turn you off from it, trust me, it's well worth a read, and that name doesn't come up that often. I laughed out loud every time it did though, but felt like I was laughing at some inside joke rather than the stupidity of what I was reading.

Gusington

I remember seeing you guys laughing your asses off at that in other posts around here.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I don't think I can tolerate any version of history where Hillary is president.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

How about where she's Emperor? And Bill becomes a monk and goes to live in a monastery. Run by Amazon Death-Girls. And A. Weiner is his room mate. Could you tolerate that?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 08:29:32 AM
I don't think I can tolerate any version of history where Hillary is president.

RIGHT there with you, trust me. But he's such a good writer he made it kind of an in-joke. At least, that's the way I took it.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 30, 2017, 11:02:47 AM
How about where she's Emperor? And Bill becomes a monk and goes to live in a monastery. Run by Amazon Death-Girls. And A. Weiner is his room mate. Could you tolerate that?

possibly

Sir Slash

Very open-minded of you.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

BanzaiCat

"Open minded" is Maine for "open container."

Greybriar

Quote from: airboy on June 11, 2017, 08:11:17 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 11, 2017, 02:16:32 PM
I just started reading The Big Switch, book 3 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove. :coolsmiley:

I'll be interested to see if you dislike the main plot change as much as I did.

Sorry for the delay but I've had some things come up that held up my reading and I have only just now finished reading The Big Switch. While it was somewhat of a surprise, I did not really dislike the main plot change. It is alternate history after all and--unlike historical fiction--anything goes.

Next on my reading agenda is Coup d'État, book 4 in The War That Came Early series by Harry Turtledove. I never read much (if any) alternate history and I am enjoying reading this series of books.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Pinetree

Axis of Time was awesome. He's written a trilogy of novellas set in the 50's that seems to be setting up for another series.

His After America series was also well done.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."