Main Menu

The Witcher 3

Started by Tpek, February 06, 2013, 01:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I don't know why, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe its the lack of customization for the player character. I just never feel like he is my own. The combat is also not satisfying. Still, I do see how the game is a technical marvel and how the game world is a true achievement.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

JH justs wants more love from Geralt.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

It didn't really grab me either, Jarhead.  I posted a diatribe a few pages back a while ago.

#faclempt
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 20, 2017, 08:50:07 AM
I don't know why, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe its the lack of customization for the player character. I just never feel like he is my own. The combat is also not satisfying. Still, I do see how the game is a technical marvel and how the game world is a true achievement.

Same for me. As much as I like so many aspects of the game, Geralt is not a character I would create, he doesn't look like or act like someone I would want to roleplay, and although I've managed to sink into one or the other Witcher iterations for a while a couple of times, not liking Geralt always pulls me out prematurely.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gusington

That is not a proven method.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

Witchers use the rhythm method with 100% success

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Wait...was that 2:08 the whole video?

WTF?

#faclempt
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

The Witcher III is a superb game. It was superbly immersive. All the characters were very believable and the dialog was extremely well done imo. I only just managed to stop short as dressing as one when playing, it was that immersive for me.

As for the combat, I've heard it was dumbed down and that it wasn't as good as I (or II). I wasn't exposed to the combat in those games, but I thought the combat was very well done and very enjoyable. I can't compare it to 1 or 2, but I can compare it to other 3rd person games and the combat stacked up very well for me.

Horses for courses - but I loved it  :clap:

I could never get a grip of Gwent though.  :uglystupid2:
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 20, 2017, 08:50:07 AM
I don't know why, but it just doesn't grab me. Maybe its the lack of customization for the player character. I just never feel like he is my own.

maybe there is a misunderstanding of Witcher (3) as an RPG from the beginning for some people.
if you would get yourself a James Bond Game or let's say a Batman game, you get of course James Bond or Batman.
You may can find, craft or adjust the gadgets Batman typically has at his disposal in the 'Batman universe', but you cant set-up or evolve your Batman character into Superman or Spiderman or in any 'compose your own superhero-crossover'-vision. Batman does Batman-stuff and use Batman approaches to solve problems.
Maybe there should have been better communication that you roleplay not 'a Witcher' but The Witcher  ...just like a Western game where you actually roleplay Doc Holliday, with TB disease, O.K. Corral and all, and not just a gunslinger-type in the West

Witcher is based on a "historic figure", protagonist in a very good novel series which was there before the game, which is the reason that this fictional universe and the narrative is so honed and so can be very immersive from the beginning when you let yourself get sucked into this world.

well, I could imagine a future spin-off game in the Witcher world as a procedural sandbox or MMO (probably set a few hundred years before The Witcher was born so closer to the conjuction-event. and the world was more rich of beasts and still contested by all the races and so there would be no conflict with the well known novel narrative) and in that game you could be free to chose to be any kind of person from any faction or even an entity and just room around and interact.

Gusington

I could never grasp the combat in the 2nd Witcher. The first game, I enjoyed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

It helps to have a gaming mouse when dealing with the combat. It's still console action but remapping the roll key alone will go a long way. I think the combat is far better than 1 or 2-- saying that the combat of 1 and 2 kept me from finishing either game. As good as the world is the mechanics always work to kill it for me. It is an action adventure to me and not an RPG. To be an RPG stats should always determine hits and misses and not reflex response from the player--once your in that area you got an action game. It's a better world than what Bethseda puts out, it's more interesting, has better characters and is better acted and voiced. But bethseda does everything else better. Combat in a bethseda game doesn't remove the player from the world like it does in the witcher--it feels a part of the world.

I think guns are going to work far better for how CDPROJECT wants to do things and I think I'm going to enjoy their Cyberware game far more.