Limit Theory - the space sim with no limits!

Started by Huw the Poo, November 24, 2012, 08:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Limit Theory is a space sim that's based around procedural generation.  The designer's intention is to give the player as much freedom as possible in a literally infinite universe that's different every time you start a new game.  There's a Kickstarter page up...I urge you to watch the video, and pay particular attention to the combat that starts at around 5 minutes.  It looks beautiful!

List of features:

An open-world space simulator / RPG
    A sandbox game : No story, no restrictions.
    Completely procedural : A completely new universe is only a button-click away.
    Infinite : The game universe has no boundary.
    Third-Person or First-Person : Command your ship from within or without.
    Deep and intelligent : Engage in far more than just combat or trading.
    Twitch-Based : Aim and fire weaponry directly, as you would in a shooter.
    Approachable : Intuitive controls and slick interfaces ensure that playing will never feel like a job.
    Strategic : Command an entire fleet when you amass enough cash to purchase more ships.
    Extensively-Customizable : Outfit your ship, fleet, and space stations with whatever equipment you choose.
    Single Player : A universe built just for you, that no one else will ever get to see (unless you choose to share it with them!)
    Beautiful and Atmospheric : Gaze in awe at a universe as diverse, vibrant, and uniquely-atmospheric as your dreams.

(Emphasis mine)

This sounds too good to be true.  I have a feeling that Limit Theory might...just might...be the ultimate space sim we didn't even know we were waiting for.

Please note that landing on planets is also in!
The Kickstarter is more than $37,000 pledged out of a $50,000 goal.  One final note about the procedural generation:

QuoteIt's Totally Procedural.

Well, almost...the music and sound effects will be hand-made. But everything you see will be procedural. Planets, nebulae, stars, asteroids, ships, stations, textures, and so on. Thanks to cutting-edge procedural generation technology, Limit Theory will have the ability to keep providing you with new experiences. No matter how long you play, there will always be more to explore, see, learn, and conquer!

Every mission, every event, and every asset that you encounter in game will be unique - and it won't be the same next time you play. You'll never "beat" the game, nor will you ever know it like the back of your hand. When you feel that it has become too familiar, all you must do is click "New Game," and you will once again be completely lost.

Get backin', folks!  8)

steve58

Damn it Huw, :) I've already pledged to MORE and Star Citizen. Looks like LT may be another one worthy of a few $s.  2013/2014 may be the new golden age of space sims. Thanks for the heads up!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Staggerwing

Quote from: steve58 on November 24, 2012, 09:44:59 PM
Damn it Huw, :) I've already pledged to MORE and Star Citizen. Looks like LT may be another one worthy of a few $s.  2013/2014 may be the new golden age of space sims. Thanks for the heads up!

Well, the $15 pledge point is almost gone (1 less already that I know of :D) so hurry.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Huw the Poo

You'll both thank me for it. :)

It looks like the result of jumping into the life of a pilot within the Star Ruler universe, with X-series-like gameplay, doesn't it?  I have a very good feeling about this one.  It shall be mine!

Jarhead0331

Sounds promising...but the description of  "twitch-based'" has me concerned.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Well, what space sim isn't?  I think he was just pointing out that weapons are directly controlled as opposed to something more hands-off.  We'll see I guess.

steve58

...in for $20.  Missed the early bird special.  Would've liked to have gotten in on the beta, but $45 was a bit much.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

Bloody hell.  I had to pull the trigger... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

It sounds, and looks, too good to be true, but it could be stunning. Worth keeping an eye on.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

steve58

...here's a new gameplay video he put out yesterday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNU02rDSSvI&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

...and looks like he'll hit his goal of $50,000 within the next few hours with another 26 days for the stretch goals.

Huw the Poo

Wow.  It's incredible what this guy has achieved in three months.  Shooting asteroids already looks way better in Limit Theory than it does in any other sim I can think of.  This game is in danger of fast becoming my most anticipated game!

Breaking news: Funding achieved! \o/

Sparhawk

This looks great. Kind of in the same vein as Evochron but his universe should be much more immersive. I'm excited to to see how the gameplay develops. This could be "The" game for me. What more could I ask for in a sandbox than someone inspired by Morrowind?

Sparhawk

Huw the Poo

Sparhawk, agreed.  I hesitate to say this because I'm a fan of the Evochron series, but I have to wonder how full-time development on it is so slow when this guy has achieved what he has working part-time in three months.