Question for boardgamers

Started by JudgeDredd, April 11, 2018, 01:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

JD, the LnLT series rules have had a re-write to v 4.1 and are much clearer. Not sure what the last version you looked at was. They Are also currently working on a ver 5.0 due out soon. This new version is even clearer and has many more examples in the rules, most with illustrations.

But if the system is not for you, and I know you have given it the ol'college try, then it's time to move on and play stuff you enjoy. Life is too short to fight frustration just to play a game.

I'll offer again to teach you on-line through VASSAL and Steam Chat if you'd like. But never feel bad because a game didn't click with you. Right now there are so many great games and systems, there no reason not to find something fu and easy, for you, to play.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on April 12, 2018, 05:48:48 AM
JD, the LnLT series rules have had a re-write to v 4.1 and are much clearer. Not sure what the last version you looked at was. They Are also currently working on a ver 5.0 due out soon. This new version is even clearer and has many more examples in the rules, most with illustrations.

But if the system is not for you, and I know you have given it the ol'college try, then it's time to move on and play stuff you enjoy. Life is too short to fight frustration just to play a game.

I'll offer again to teach you on-line through VASSAL and Steam Chat if you'd like. But never feel bad because a game didn't click with you. Right now there are so many great games and systems, there no reason not to find something fu and easy, for you, to play.
Thanks Barth. Good news on the rules and I'll check what versions I have in the various games.

As for the system, I really liked it. I found the armour/anti-armour aspect confusing - I can't recall specifically - something to do with adding or removing values which, iirc, were counter (pun intended) to how it works with infantry. I was also very confused with how ineffective armour seemed to be. Again, iirc, due to a very low hit value or to hit value.

Sorry I'm not being specific, but it's been some time since I played.

One other thing I recall was easy it was to be wiped just because your troops needed rallying and you didn't have a leader/medic nearby. That may have been my fault with not keeping my troops in range of a leader - nope - it was that the leader had to be IN the same hex as the troop needing rallying (it was, right?) - and so having your troops fail morale checks was incredibly frustrating.

Maybe I just wasn't looking after my troops enough.

I even bought the LnL Stalingrad game from Matrix in the hope that it cleared some of my concerns up - but I'#m not sure it did - at least from armour.

I will get it out and give it another try to at least find the specific issues I was having - maybe you or BGG will have the answer.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Definitely check out BGG more often. If you're confused by a rule, chances are someone's posted about it on BGG. Chances are also that if nobody has posted it, if you did, the developer/designer monitors the page and will answer fairly quickly (depending on the company, of course).

I've had pretty good luck with Googling the general question, the name of the game, and "bgg" to get results. The search function within BGG's forums isn't all that robust and it can be confused easily, but Google will usually find the thread you want right away.

mirth

I've had good luck on BGG finding rules clarifications. And, as BC notes, if you post a rules queston, it is usually answered quickly.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

The Gimpy Gamer? I didn't realize Gus had a Youtube channel.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 12, 2018, 06:50:16 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on April 12, 2018, 05:48:48 AM

Thanks Barth. Good news on the rules and I'll check what versions I have in the various games.

As for the system, I really liked it. I found the armour/anti-armour aspect confusing - I can't recall specifically - something to do with adding or removing values which, iirc, were counter (pun intended) to how it works with infantry. I was also very confused with how ineffective armour seemed to be. Again, iirc, due to a very low hit value or to hit value.

Sorry I'm not being specific, but it's been some time since I played.

One other thing I recall was easy it was to be wiped just because your troops needed rallying and you didn't have a leader/medic nearby. That may have been my fault with not keeping my troops in range of a leader - nope - it was that the leader had to be IN the same hex as the troop needing rallying (it was, right?) - and so having your troops fail morale checks was incredibly frustrating.

Maybe I just wasn't looking after my troops enough.

I even bought the LnL Stalingrad game from Matrix in the hope that it cleared some of my concerns up - but I'#m not sure it did - at least from armour.

I will get it out and give it another try to at least find the specific issues I was having - maybe you or BGG will have the answer.

If you're going to try again I'd wait for the v5 rules.. a couple of weeks I think.

And ask any questions you have here, if you like, I will definitely answer them or find the answer for you.

Barthheart

Silent Disapproval Robot

Barth, we need to get round 2 of LnL in one of these days.

Barthheart

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on April 12, 2018, 08:37:21 AM
Quote from: acctingman on April 12, 2018, 08:06:58 AM
JD

Check out this guy's YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoXeRfoA8fBT8GkkUMMoSRg

Yes, definitely check out those vids. Really well done.  O0
I am subscribed to him. I probably did so for LnL  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

acctingman

Yea, he does a great job of showing how the game plays. I'm still on the fence about buying into the LnL series, but for me it's more an issue of how much time/money I want to invest on board gaming. I'm trying my hardest to get into miniature ww2 gaming in my area and I'd rather spend my time devoted to that arena.

Thanks to the people here that mentioned a rules revision. That might make it easier for me to take the plunge.

For solo gaming, I think the LnL tactical series seems spot on for it.

Phantom

Broadly same problem here. My approach is as follows:

1) Use the BGG complexity rating - IMO games 3.5/4 plus will take a lot of time investment to learn, so I tend to avoid them unless I'm particularly keen on the subject, & though your level may of differ, its easy to find using existing games you play or don't play.
2) Use the great resource of video/You Tube rules explanations or play throughs - they're a great way to get your head around the main concepts of a game & decide is its for you.
3) You'll probably find using the above narrows game purchases down to games you will actually play & not (as I've found to my cost) end up buying shelf warmers.

Hope this helps.

Barthheart

Quote from: acctingman on April 12, 2018, 09:46:17 AM
For solo gaming, I think the LnL tactical series seems spot on for it.

I've always found it quite easy to play LnLT solo... even without the Solo module rules. The Solo rules are nice in that it gives you more of playing an opponent feeling... but they are not required to have fun with the system.

SofaKings

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 11, 2018, 11:57:03 AM
Quote from: mirth on April 11, 2018, 08:07:18 AM
There are some games my group has been playing for 10 years and we routinely discover we've been misinterpreting a rule, sometimes with serious impact on game play. Our biggest problem is that we often think we know a rule without reading it closely.

This is one of the greatest challenges, I think...thinking you're playing it correctly, or worse getting into a procedure you think is right, and then you reference something to find you're not actually doing it right.

This.