V-ger will return

Started by besilarius, March 28, 2018, 06:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://techstartups.com/2018/03/22/nasa-receives-response-from-voyager-1-spacecraft-13-billion-miles-away-after-37-years-of-inactivity/

Flabbergasted.  NASA did some great work there.
All I can think of is the german captain in "The Enemy Below". 
"Ve build zem guid in Chermany, eh Heinie?"
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Holy crap, it's halfway to Alpha Centauri? That can't be right.

Barthheart

Not even close, Alpha is 41.32 trillion km away, V-ger is only 18.8 billion km.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Barthheart on March 28, 2018, 07:47:23 AM
Not even close, Alpha is 41.32 trillion km away, V-ger is only 18.8 billion km.

I was gonna say...stupid Internet lies!

Barthheart

The scale in that picture is a log scale in AUs (astronomical units - 1 AU = distance from Earth to Sun)

Saturn is 10 AUs from the Sun.
V-ger is currently 100 AUs out.
Alpha is between 10,000 and 1,000,000 AUs out.

DoctorQuest

I can't find it on the PBS site right now but Nova did a very good show on Voyager not too long ago. It is really an amazing story. Got some serious space geek on with that one. 
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

One of the significant plot-points from the epic fanfic HARRY POTTER AND THE METHODS OF RATIONALITY, following the premise that everyone, especially Voldemort, acts as competently as possible, is that Voldy either put a horcrux on Voyager or made it into a horcrux. Whenever he needs a time out from his busy plotting and just can't stand being around people anymore (which is part of his problem), he'll tap into where Voyager is and stargaze for a while in the vastness of space.

(...that was the only other pop culture reference to Voyager I could recall, aside from V-ger already used...)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 28, 2018, 11:56:17 AM
One of the significant plot-points from the epic fanfic HARRY POTTER AND THE METHODS OF RATIONALITY, following the premise that everyone, especially Voldemort, acts as competently as possible, is that Voldy either put a horcrux on Voyager or made it into a horcrux. Whenever he needs a time out from his busy plotting and just can't stand being around people anymore (which is part of his problem), he'll tap into where Voyager is and stargaze for a while in the vastness of space.

(...that was the only other pop culture reference to Voyager I could recall, aside from V-ger already used...)

JP,

I think I speak for all of us when I say, you must get some really good shit from your guy, there. You should share that info with us.