Judging a Book By It's Cover

Started by OJsDad, January 10, 2018, 09:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

This has nothing to do with Fox News or Facebook.  It's strictly a thumbs up to Janice Dean for not allowing someone to same her for doing nothing wrong, but being happy with who she is, while battling an awful disease. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/fox-meteorologist's-body-shaming-story-has-a-heartbreaking-twist/ar-BBIdi6N?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

QuoteFox News meteorologist Janice Dean was scanning through the comments on her Facebook page earlier this month when she noticed a message from a woman named JoAnn. Apparently JoAnn never got the memo that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

"Dear Janice," the note began. "Please stop allowing Fox to dress you in those short skirts. They are not flattering on you. You're an attractive lady, love the 80s hair, but your legs are distracting every time you walk on screen."

Rather than ignoring the hateful feedback, Dean, 47, chose to respond. And it was perfect. "Fox doesn't dress me. I dress myself," she replied. "I'm sorry if you don't like my legs. I'm grateful I have them to walk with. You're right. I don't look like the typical person on TV, and I"m proud to be a size 10. Imagine that! You can always turn the channel if you're offended by my huge legs."

Dean shared JoAnn's post to her Facebook page on January 8, and was flooded with words of kindness and support. But one comment made the journalist break down in tears. Dean has lived with Multiple sclerosis for more than 10 years, and it was written by her first MS nurse Jen.

"Dear Janice, I LOVE those strong legs," wrote Jen. "I LOVE that you stand tall, walk, run, squat, lunge, skip, jump and hop on those legs. You are blessed and have a blessing to have STRONG legs!!! Wear skirts proudly and show your STRONG legs!!! Love you, my angel."

In an essay published on Wednesday, January 10, Dean revealed her legs used to be "a sore spot" when she looked in the mirror. "But now more than ever I am proud of them," she explained. "Because with MS, I could lose my ability to walk literally any day. So I've learned to be proud of my legs, and am grateful for them every day of my life."
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

MS is a terrible thing and I pray she gets to use those legs for many years to come.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Greybriar

A cousin of mine has had MS for years. Medication slowed the progression of her disease but it has advanced to the point that she now is in a wheelchair in a nursing home.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

My grandfather was diagnosed MS when my mom was four, which as 1950.  He died in 1979 or 1980.  I never saw him stand on his own.  Grandma had to help him with going to the bathroom, had to cut his food up for him.  Those are most of the memories I have of him. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

trailrunner

A relative took her life when MS became too much for her. Her condition was getting bad and she knew it. I can not judge her for her decision.

Emeraldlis

MS sufferers are brave people, living with a debilitating disease... Hats off to them  :notworthy:

I think what's also really sad, is that the woman is being judged on her weight/appearance by that "critic" and not her work. She's  there to give a weather report, and is obviously doing a damn good job!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Sir Slash

I like Janice Dean. Anybody that can deal with this past year's weather and still smile is OK by me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Looking good Ginger   :bd:

https://www.littlethings.com/ginger-zee-blasts-body-shamer/

Pregnant Meteorologist Ginger Zee Hits Back At Body Shamer Who Criticized Her Dress Choice

QuoteExpectant mom Ginger Zee looked stunning during the January 24, 2018, episode of Good Morning America.

The meteorologist was wearing a form-fitting color block dress that showed off her growing baby bump. However, not everyone loved the outfit. One rude stranger decided to tweet the mom-to-be about her dress choice.

"You have complained about being pregnant for months. Who chose that dress?" the person wrote.

The meteorologist decided that, instead of ignoring the comment, she'd reply to hopefully teach the commenter a lesson. She wrote on Twitter:

"??? I don't remember complaining. I remember being quite happy about it. I guess we all perceive things differently. And I am responsible for hiring or choosing my own wardrobe — so, me!"

Many of Ginger's 2.19 million followers came to her defense and told the mom she looked beautiful and not to worry about the bully — some even directly replied to the stranger. Later that same day, Ginger explained why she decided to reply to the stranger (who has since deleted their tweet).

"I am happy to hear everyone's opinions even if I don't agree and sometimes feel a responsibility to remind them there's a human at the other end of the keyboard," she wrote. "Happy to give them that attention they need. Hope it helps someone else in their path."

Ginger's baby is expected to arrive next month!