Dark matter recognized?

Started by besilarius, October 09, 2017, 06:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

Half?

They still have quite a bit more to discover, then.  :)

JasonPratt

That probably isn't going to happen: http://www.nature.com/news/dark-matter-hunt-fails-to-find-the-elusive-particles-1.22970#/b1

It's important to understand that, conceptually, dark matter, and dark energy, despite their exotic comic-book applications in fiction, aren't necessarily some type of exotic matter and energy. They're more like remainders left over in an equation pointing to material and energy that hasn't been found and accounted for yet.

But the reigning paradigm in astrophysics has kind of wanted and needed for dark energy, and also dark matter, to be something exotic. This is why experts seemed disappointed when half the "dark matter" expected in the universe turned out to be a weather balloon instead of a flying saucer, so to speak. It's a Unidentified Flying Object either way (so to speak), until it's identified -- but it makes quite a lot of conceptual difference whether the Object turns out to be swamp gas or the Millennium Falcon. And what the current paradigm needed, so to speak, was the Falcon as an explanation in order to account for observed behaviors. (I mean they were looking for something categorically other, and more exotic, than already-discovered baryon particles; what they found was a bunch of previously undetected baryon particles.)

Anyway, dark matter and dark energy theories aren't dead exactly, but the exotic theory types are turning up dead. Consequently, we're going to see some rechecking of the original theories which seemed to require so vastly much more currently-undetectable 'dark' matter and 'dark' energy as a factor, to see if mistakes were made in the reasoning; and we're going to see new theories (already running for about a year now) which don't need so vastly much undetected matter/energy in the universe (this is where electric universe theories are going to take a boost, for example -- a theory set where electromagnetism, not gravity, is treated as the most powerful cohesive force in astrophysics, which has the advantage of being certainly true at less than macro-size levels); and I expect we'll see new theories proposing even more exotic forms of dark matter/energy. (e.g. from the article, "Perhaps dark matter consists of exotic axion particles, which are akin to strange, massive photons. Theorists are also looking at whether dark matter might not interact with known particles at all, but exist in a "hidden sector", he says.")

Personally, I would think zero-point energy should be considered for the dark energy side of the theories, but I can understand that zero-point energy wouldn't seem(?) to provide the gravitational mass needed for current theories to validly work. But then, if electric universe theories don't need so much missing gravitational mass...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

was expecting a BLM thread   :buck2:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Jarhead0331

Wonder what gameleaper thinks...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 09, 2017, 05:29:02 PM
you're obsessed with it.

nah. Just amazed at how many goats you can accommodate.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Dark Matter is that stuff my wife claims I track into the house even though I wipe my feet on the door mat.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.