Decades Feeder Bracket - 1985 Round of 16

Started by MetalDog, September 10, 2017, 02:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

If 1985 looks a bit disjointed, that's because it is.  I have had a lot of RL stuff going on and that's limited the time I have had to spend on this.  But, it's been another great MTV walk down memory lane as evidenced by our Number 1 seed, Money For Nothing.  That video is so MTV that it even name checks MTV.  Sting, who calls out for his MTV in the Dire Straits song, puts in his own entry at Number 2 with a great song and video.  The video might seem a bit dated, but let's remember, this is 1985 and it was pretty ground breaking.  As for the rest of our contestants this year, it looks like you will know all these songs.  So, I hope that means this will be difficult for you to decide. 

As always, thank you all for participating and I hope you look forward to them  :bd: :bd: :bd: as much as I enjoy making them  :pullhair: :pullhair: :pullhair:.

The 1/16

The 8/9

The 5/12

The 4/13

The 6/11

The 3/14

The 7/10

The 2/15

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

trailrunner

I think you forgot the videos for the 6-11 matchup.

MetalDog

trailrunner

I'm sure you made the best choices with what was available, but 1985 does not seem like a good year for music.  There are some good artists that produced some bad work that year (IMHO of course).  And I don't like some of the artists that were peaking around this time, such as Sting and the Police (heresy around here, I know), and Dire Straits.

1985 happened during a time in my life when I was immersed (and overwhelmed) in grad school, and we were getting ready for our first daughter, so I didn't get out much.  After reviewing the nominees for this year, I don't think I missed much.   :)

mirth

Heh. I was thinking there's several awesome songs on the list - Road to Nowhere is one of my favorite Talking Heads songs.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

I'm not even going to get into the obscure stuff that only I would know about (Helloween, Keel, Gary Moore, Exciter) but you managed to leave out ALL of the following, none of which are weird, off-the-wall, or unpopular bands / tracks

Not that they all deserve to be on the list, but none of them seems crazy...

Or, Home Sweet Home (or was that in the Power Ballads bracket?)

Invasion of Your Privacy was the best-selling hard rock album of the year

I know you hate Bon Jovi, but this was the start of their explosion.  You could also use In & Out Of Love or Only Lonely

Huge radio/MTV hit

This was originally released in '85, but no one cared until the remake years later

Are there better Rush songs from other years?  Sure.  Are there better mullets-in-full-80s-technicolor?  No way.

Biggest hit from a multi-platinum album (tho there are better songs on the album)

you could also swap in Sentimental Street (which, I think, actually charted higher)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Great job MD.  Brant brought up some great ones, but you said you didn't have a lot time to sort it all out.  I'm sure a few of those will end up on one of  you wild card brackets. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

I have four of the songs you posted in the research, Brant.  I'll let you guess which ones I didn't ;)

Quote from: OJsDad on September 10, 2017, 08:54:44 PM
Great job MD.  Brant brought up some great ones, but you said you didn't have a lot time to sort it all out.  I'm sure a few of those will end up on one of  you wild card brackets. 

Thank you, sir!  And you are correct about the Brackets.  It's possible you may see some in the Wild Card rounds.