RAF Solitaire Game, by Decision Games

Started by DennisS, August 17, 2017, 07:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

I just watched about a two hour video of a let's play of this.

I had the original RAF, more than 30 years ago, but it didn't make the trip back from Alaska, years ago.

This game looks pretty good, not sure about the accessibility/playability. Looks pretty complex for a solitaire game..may take an hour or two just to play through one day. Thoughts?

Nefaro

Be careful getting the counters out of the cardboard sprues.  Some of the worst cut I've encountered.  Ended up having to use an Xacto knife to get some of them out with their printed paper layer remaining.

As for the game, I've only played the British side.  Definitely enjoyed, although it starts feeling rather repetitive toward the latter part of the session.  Playing from the German side (new in this edition IIRC) may have a bit more variety.  Or, at least, different decisions than the other.

JudgeDredd

I LOVED it. A superb game. As always, I haven't played it in a while because my hobby keeps chucking new things at me - but I often see it and think "I should get that out again" and then, of course, forget and move on to modelling/new boardgame/new computer game etc, etc

One other thing - I don't recall EVER having a problem with the rules. IIRC, they came across very easy indeed and I think that was because they were laid out very intuitively.

When I played it last, I played it as the Germans and I enjoyed every minute of it. I do recall what Nef mentioned - the counters. It took a considerable amount of time to make them presentable...but the quality of the game, the rules, the solitaire aspect - all very top notch.

Worth every penny.

I did an AAR back in 2013. Unfortunately, Photo*ucket decided to remove all my images I posted all over the web and this has been hit...so there are no images, but the read is still there if interested

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8449.0
Alba gu' brath

Boggit

Really good AAR JD, even without the pix.  :bd:
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 18, 2017, 12:49:00 AM

I did an AAR back in 2013. Unfortunately, Photo*ucket decided to remove all my images I posted all over the web and this has been hit...so there are no images, but the read is still there if interested

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8449.0

Stop using photobucket, JD.

Go here https://postimages.org/  or here http://tinypic.com/index.php  for places that don't make you register, and don't constantly scuttle your external links.

JudgeDredd

I have pal. I'm using Flickr at the moment. Who knows what is round the corner, but it's easy to use and I had an account from years back.

Unfortunately, I can't go back and fix what PB has broken. I still cannot believe they've not been forced to fix what they broke!
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 18, 2017, 10:04:48 AM
I have pal. I'm using Flickr at the moment. Who knows what is round the corner, but it's easy to use and I had an account from years back.

Unfortunately, I can't go back and fix what PB has broken. I still cannot believe they've not been forced to fix what they broke!

I suggested it because...

Your signature pic is showing that "Please update your photobucket account, and pay us, or too bad" message.

Phantom

Have only got the original (West End Games) version, but a good solitaire game, and for a solitaire game the AI programmed rules are IMO quite simple. Would like to play the new version if only for the possibility of playing the Germans, which I believe you can do.
Regards
Keith

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Phantom on August 18, 2017, 01:23:26 PM
Have only got the original (West End Games) version, but a good solitaire game, and for a solitaire game the AI programmed rules are IMO quite simple. Would like to play the new version if only for the possibility of playing the Germans, which I believe you can do.
Regards
Keith

Yes, you can. The newer edition actually has three versions of the game - playing the RAF solitaire, playing the Luftwaffe solitaire, and a two-player version as well.

mirth

Man, I wish there were a review for this game  that I could check out.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on August 18, 2017, 12:35:11 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 18, 2017, 10:04:48 AM

I suggested it because...

Your signature pic is showing that "Please update your photobucket account, and pay us, or too bad" message.
I've left it on there to shame those w***ers  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath