Space Odyssey - The Video Game

Started by Millipede, July 22, 2017, 10:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

Some time ago I decided to avoid any more Kickstarter commitments but this one sucked me back in. Neal deGrasse Tyson is behind it and he promises real world physics. I found everything else a bit vague but figured Tyson's involvement was worth the risk... actually there is no risk since it is clearly stated that the project is "All or nothing", meaning that if it doesn't reach it's funding goal by next Sat. the project will just end. Have a look https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000580152/neil-degrasse-tyson-presents-space-odyssey-the-vid?ref=nav_search and see what you think. It's about $70K away from it's goal.

Rayfer

Very interesting 6 minute video.  Thanks for sharing.

bobarossa

$300k doesn't feel like nearly enough to do this game.  Given the lack of any work-to-date video this funding may just be to get the concept for the game down so they can get outside investors.  They include "in game currency" in the rewards so will this be a free-to-play game that we would be sponsoring?  Sorry for the negativity but I've been bitten too many times by kickstarters.

Millipede

Quote from: bobarossa on July 22, 2017, 11:09:43 AM
$300k doesn't feel like nearly enough to do this game.  Given the lack of any work-to-date video this funding may just be to get the concept for the game down so they can get outside investors.  They include "in game currency" in the rewards so will this be a free-to-play game that we would be sponsoring?  Sorry for the negativity but I've been bitten too many times by kickstarters.
Yep, I understand the Kickstarter hesitancy but I'm a real Neal deGrasse Tyson fan and he's definitely a stand-up guy that, I'm sure, will keep the project honest. Besides, if they don't achieve the goal, no one will be out any money. 

bobarossa

Read a little farther into the text and the kickstarter is not to develop the game but to fund a beta test. 

"The team behind Space Odyssey initiated the conceptualization process of the game through self-funding, then sought outside funding that's earmarked towards development.

The funds received via your support on Kickstarter will grant us the ability to have this community play the game and engage with it while the final build is underway.   

As the Kickstarter gaming community begins to beta test game-play and provide feedback, we can begin to use the funds raised via Kickstarter to incorporate your modding, mapping and building suggestions, together building the awesome gaming experience you helped to create. "

Makes more sense now.  The Kickstarter is to allow them to incorporate user feedback through a beta test. 

DawGr

As Wikipedia says the development on the project had been delayed owing to lack of funding...so...it's probably we won't see this game released. It's a little bit annoying because I donated to them several times, and nothing happened. The fact is they reached the goal of $300k, but there were no updates since that. That's not the best attitude towards fans and those who donated. Anyway, I have other games to play now. For example, I've recently got a REDACTED account to play with my friends on new servers. We had a nice time having fun together, so I hope we're gonna continue soon.

medsark

I believe that the 300k goal for Kickstarter is not that much, so you guys can reach this easily. My concern is that 300k is not enough for designing all game mechanics as was promised. I don't say that Neal deGrasse is a lier, but this budget sounds very optimistic. I think this game needs at least 600k for good game quality in the future. Also, I heard about people selling their in-game items from CS: GO, DOTA, Pubg for real money to support their favorite Kickstarter projects. I think I will support this project by selling some skins here REDACTED

Tripoli

It actually surpassed the goal: $357,866 pledged of $314,159 goal.  But no updates since April 2020, and delivery was anticipated in 2018.    See https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2000580152/neil-degrasse-tyson-presents-space-odyssey-the-vid?ref=nav_search
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln