Main Menu

Fortnite

Started by Tpek, July 21, 2017, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I'm amazed no one here has heard of this new Co-Op FPS/Survival/Base-Defense game by Epic.
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/home

It just got out to Early Access for founder pack owners.

I've got some buddy codes if anyone wants to join me in the game :)

Jarhead0331

I've heard of it. Just haven't posted about it.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

acctingman

This actually looks pretty fun

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2017, 02:42:58 PM

Are you playing it?
(or is it a rare case of you not getting a game :P)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on July 21, 2017, 02:53:44 PM

Are you playing it?

I actually didn't get this one. I'll grab one of those buddy codes if you're still offering... O:-)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 21, 2017, 02:55:33 PM
Quote from: Tpek on July 21, 2017, 02:53:44 PM

Are you playing it?

I actually didn't get this one. I'll grab one of those buddy codes if you're still offering... O:-)

Sent!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

So it's like 7 Days to Die, but takes twice as long?

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bardolph

jomni

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 22, 2017, 02:04:51 PM
So it's like 7 Days to Die, but takes twice as long?

>:D

Maybe the pace (of combat and building) is faster.

spelk

Playing it on console, and it's really engaging so far... feels a bit like Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare mixed with a hint of Orcs Must Die and a smidgen of squad management. The tutorial missions are very comprehensive, and you are drip fed the mechanics so it's not too overwhelming. There are lots of collectibles, even your hero character is just another card, and you level it up, and you can have the same one with different skill sets.

You play through the following phases on a map

1) resource collection and exploration
2) survivor rescues and loot gathering from chests - this can be helped by finding the unbuilt radar station (randomly placed, I think) then building it to a plan (including custom segment arrangement and materials - wood, stone, metal). Once you have built and activated the radar station, you can pump it full of energy resource "BluGoo", and then it will reveal more and more of the map for you - including where the survivors and the loot chests are. It doesn't uncover the entire map though. I think its about 75%.
3) find the desired objective site, pump it full of BluGoo and then build a defensive fort around it.
4) Defend the fort and the objective from waves of "husks"/zombies, until your team can be evacuated.

Some missions have other searchables, and recording logs etc.. but the above is the basic structure of a mission in the game.

All the time you're harvesting wood, stone or metal, and collecting nuts/bolts and other parts to help craft
a) weapons
b) traps
c) walls/ceilings/floors/stairs (all three materials have differing defensive strengths)

Certain classes have specials they can kick off, such as laying down a kinetic device that electrifies the surrounding walls/floors. Or one class can collect an ammo fragment from special dispensers found on the map, and power a giant Teddy Bear shaped robot turret that will do untold damage to the enemy for a short period of time.

Some classes boost melee, others ranged and grenade attacks, others boost BASE defence or resource gathering and exploration. So there is a level of variety on offer to power a complimentary co-op team of 4 players there.

Also, you have a homebase you need to build up, and periodically defend against the horde.

The management stuff happens when you start to collect surviors, who can man your EMT, Fire, Scouting or Defensive teams. They have personalities and traits that you need match, and level for extra bonuses on your hero. You can also use some of your survivor cards in your hero's direct team to boost things further. And you can dispense some of them on defender tiles placed as manned stations in a base. Keep these bastards in ammo seems to be a big issue though. They'll take one of your guns full with ammo and blaze it empty in a minute or two..

Everything levels up. Skill sets open up further mechanics and more special bonuses.. You gain loot llama pinyatas to smack to get more cards and various flavours of levelling XP (hero, survivor, weapon, traps etc).

It's very entertaining and feels quite organic, you can rush to get additional bonuses but if you enjoy building a precise defensive base you can take your time and do it well. Although you'll run out of resources if you go overboard. Ammo is also a concern. It can be replenished but uses your pot of resources that you do everything with. So guns blazing will soon see you swinging a golf club around and trying to coax the horde into your traps a bit more. Oh and traps have limited number of uses,  level 1 wall spikes have about 35 shots in them. Floor spikes about 180 hits. etc.

Really enjoying it at the moment. Can see it will end up a grind higher up for better cards, and all the currencies and goodies will suit the game when it eventually goes free to play.

Yskonyn

So this game goes F2P somewhere within 2018, but now you can play for anywhere between 40 and 150 euros..  :uglystupid2: WTF?
Is there a reason why this scheme has been chosen?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Sometimes when I see games like these I just think they're an ADHD dream
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 24, 2017, 02:51:43 AM
So this game goes F2P somewhere within 2018, but now you can play for anywhere between 40 and 150 euros..  :uglystupid2: WTF?
Is there a reason why this scheme has been chosen?

Thanks for informing me. I'll wait.

Grimnirsson

QuoteSo this game goes F2P somewhere within 2018, but now you can play for anywhere between 40 and 150 euros..  :uglystupid2: WTF?

Seems that enough folks are willing to be used as a playtester and to pay for it. All this early access stuff seems to work well for the publishers... :-"
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de