Victoria and Pride of Nations

Started by solops, July 20, 2017, 10:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Has anyone done a comparison of Victoria (1 or 2) and Pride of Nations. I have all three games but I have only played Vicky 1, which I liked. I want to try Vicky2 or PoN after I finish my current AoW-Shadow Magic binge, but I am not sure which way to jump. Both games require substantial time investment, so I'd like a better idea of what I am getting into.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Silent Disapproval Robot

Vicky 2 is much more accessible and doesn't require as much time to play as PoN but I always felt like I didn't have a lot of input as to what was happening in the game in comparison to PoN or Vicky 1.  I always felt like I was just making a few adjustments to some sliders and waiting for something to happen.

JasonPratt

The biggest difference of course is that ProN is turn based and Vicky2 is real (or anyway continuous) pausable time. This is no small difference as turn resolution in ProN has always been, and somewhat still is, a major chug for even modern computers.

ProN remains rather more unstable than Vicky2, too. Many people don't think the AGE engine works well at this ultimate global scale. Having said that, once ProN moved to Steam, there has been occasional but steady attempts at patching it up properly, including just recently. Vick2 support is dead, I think? (But it doesn't need the support really.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

How do you get the 'new' patch.. I went to the post on AGEOD forum, but don't see a 'link' to the patch download (for us GamersGate owners). You could download the 'last' patch.

JasonPratt

No idea. ProN was the first game I bought on GG, and then I went so long before buying another game that I forgot that account existed and created a new one! Years later I realized I already had ProN on the old account, and I think I managed to get it moved onto the new account, but there was no way for me to get a Steam key for it (since at the time GG was selling the Paradox edition). Eventually I bought ProN on sale at a deep discount from Steam, and I've kept that version installed since then.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 06:15:39 AM
No idea. ProN was the first game I bought on GG, and then I went so long before buying another game that I forgot that account existed and created a new one! Years later I realized I already had ProN on the old account, and I think I managed to get it moved onto the new account, but there was no way for me to get a Steam key for it (since at the time GG was selling the Paradox edition). Eventually I bought ProN on sale at a deep discount from Steam, and I've kept that version installed since then.

I think GG was originally Paradox's storefront. Other AGEOD games they ended up giving me a Steam key, like Ale Jacta Est (at first they said they wouldn't, but then when they didn't produce the non-steam patch, they eventually gave me one).. With the last PoN, the patch worked on the Non Steam version.

Philippe

Quote from: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 05:45:33 AM
How do you get the 'new' patch.. I went to the post on AGEOD forum, but don't see a 'link' to the patch download (for us GamersGate owners). You could download the 'last' patch.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=51732
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

HoodedHorseJoe

I played a lot of Vicky 2, it's enjoyable but the industrialisation and pop mechanics can be a bit obtuse sometimes. I struggled with them a lot, but it didn't ruin the game for me (other than me going bankrupt a lot). From what I remember, the design though was slightly flawed fundamentally as, the moment China industrialised, they out performed everyone and ruined the in-game economy. Don't think I ever saw that happen personally though.

Pride of Nations I always found a bit clunkier, but then I find all AGE engine games a bit clunky. It's got a lot of detail to it and they sure have a great scope, but they could do a better job of explaining themselves.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Greybriar

It has been a long time since I've played Pride of Nations or either of the Victoria games, but of the three I would choose Victoria II.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tuna

Quote from: Philippe on July 21, 2017, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: Tuna on July 21, 2017, 05:45:33 AM

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=51732

Thanks!

Boggit

Quote from: Greybriar on July 21, 2017, 11:40:50 AM
It has been a long time since I've played Pride of Nations or either of the Victoria games, but of the three I would choose Victoria II.
Gotta agree with Greybriar. Vicky 2 is the most accessible of all. I want to like PON, and am sure it will ultimately reward the effort, but I find it hard to get into. Vicky2 is easy and very intuitive.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

I'm hoping we're getting close to a Victoria 3 announcement.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

Quote from: bbmike on August 08, 2017, 06:13:16 PM
I'm hoping we're getting close to a Victoria 3 announcement.

:smitten:

My only issue with Victoria, it seems to short, when compared to CKII and EUIV. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bboyer66

Having played both, I remember Pride of Nations to be just a tad too over-ambitious for the Athena engine to handle (ridiculously long load times, braindead AI in a lot of instances).  Some of the smaller scenarios seemd to work well with it though.

Victoria II is a little odd.  Playing as Greece I had a good time. Playing as a bigger country not so much.  Province management just became too overwhelming with the bigger countries.  It takes a while to figure out how the economic system works because it is so complex, and is made even more difficult because it is not necessarily based on reality.