Exercise Habits?

Started by airboy, July 16, 2017, 09:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

You're a spring chicken Pratt!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I'm in terrible shape.

I'm 20st 6lbs (that's 286lbs in old money or 130kg in new) and 5'10" (1.75m) and I have a a terrible diet - high sugar, high fat, high salt which I have been "trying" to control since I was 20.

As far as exercise goes - not an awful lot. I cycle to and from work but that's only 7.5 miles round trip. A couple or 3 times a week I'll cycle a longer way home taking that day to 12 miles and occasionally I'll do a 25 mile ride home. On average I probably scrape in about 60-80 miles a week on the bike.

I eat too much. I'm starting to feel it in my joints and it's about time I stopped fannying around and did something about it.

By the way two things...

• Congratulations on turning shit around - kudos  O0
  • I love that - as one of the easiest surgeries to recover from that I've ever had - I've only ever had surgery once in my life and that was for varicose veins. How many surgeries have you had?

Anyway - well done.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

My doctor knew how to get me working-out. He told me he would just schedule more Colonoscopy's if I didn't shape-up.   :hide:   That did it! I can DRIVE a mile in under 10 min. That count?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Wow JD, I would think cycling 7.5 miles to and from work by itself is pretty good exercise.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Quote from: bbmike on July 19, 2017, 11:02:43 AM
Wow JD, I would think cycling 7.5 miles to and from work by itself is pretty good exercise.
It doesn't counter what I eat though.

Well - actually that's not totally true. I have still been putting on weight over the years, but since I started cycling it has slowed dramatically.

But my eating is the problem.

What annoys me about myself is I plucked up the energy/courage/determination/whatever and cycled 200 miles in 2 days from Newcastle to Edinburgh and I can't seem to summon the determination to NOT pick up that chocolate bar (or should I say "those chocolate bars")!

#annoyedbymyself  :knuppel2:
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Wouldn't "high sugar, high fat, high salt" also be known as "Scottish food"?  >:D

At least you've got a respectable exercise regime already down pat. If you can work your way down to a 6" Subway meal deal, with plain baked chips and half-sweet tea and a high protein sandwich (maybe converted to a salad) with no cheese and no extra sauce (extra bacon is fine), twice a day, you'd be a dang Scottish crag in a year!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 10:52:18 AM
I'm in terrible shape.

I'm 20st 6lbs (that's 286lbs in old money or 130kg in new) and 5'10" (1.75m) and I have a a terrible diet - high sugar, high fat, high salt which I have been "trying" to control since I was 20.

As far as exercise goes - not an awful lot. I cycle to and from work but that's only 7.5 miles round trip. A couple or 3 times a week I'll cycle a longer way home taking that day to 12 miles and occasionally I'll do a 25 mile ride home. On average I probably scrape in about 60-80 miles a week on the bike.

I eat too much. I'm starting to feel it in my joints and it's about time I stopped fannying around and did something about it.

By the way two things...

• I love that - as one of the easiest surgeries to recover from that I've ever had - I've only ever had surgery once in my life and that was for varicose veins. How many surgeries have you had?

Anyway - well done.

1] Seems like you get a lot of cardio with the biking - well done.
2] I've had 8 surgeries.  All outpatient.  Aside from the heart cath as a kid and the serious heart surgery 2 years ago, nothing was major.

3] I have a Judge Dread card for Munchkin Apocalypse that was given as a minor prize.  If you play Munchkin Apocalypse and PM me your mailing address, I'll mail you the card - even to Scotland!

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: airboy on July 19, 2017, 12:01:38 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 10:52:18 AM
I'm in terrible shape.

By the way two things...

Anyway - well done.

1] Seems like you get a lot of cardio with the biking - well done.
2] I've had 8 surgeries.  All outpatient.  Aside from the heart cath as a kid and the serious heart surgery 2 years ago, nothing was major.

3] I have a Judge Dread card for Munchkin Apocalypse that was given as a minor prize.  If you play Munchkin Apocalypse and PM me your mailing address, I'll mail you the card - even to Scotland!
EIGHT surgeries? wow!

Thank you for the offer  :notworthy:  but I don't jive with the Munchkin Apocolypse - I don't know what it is so I'm off to Google...back in a mo...
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

That's a lot of biking, JD.  You've always looked pretty fit in the pictures you've posted, I think.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on July 19, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
That's a lot of biking, JD.  You've always looked pretty fit in the pictures you've posted, I think.
Thanks Toonces.

My weight is a pure plus downhill, allowing me to gather to 40mph. Uphill is a completely different story. But overall I average 16mph on all of my rides.

It's without doubt been a saviour for me - at least slowing the weight gain. One day I hope to join it with some controlled eating and I'll be quids in. I love cycling and I'm hoping one day soon my love of cycling will make me want to see what it's like as a 15st man - but track record suggests it's going to need more effort than I've put in before.

Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Firstmost, Airboy i am glad to read that you recovering well  :D

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 02:43:57 PM

My weight is a pure plus downhill, allowing me to gather to 40mph. Uphill is a completely different story. But overall I average 16mph on all of my rides.

JD, take care when you ride, esp. downhill 

look what happend to Yourstruly on his MTB ride in his neck of the woods ^-^
(impatient, fastforward to maybe  @7:30 )

my exercise habits are in a shameful yearly periodical wave pattern  :-[
in early spring i 'suddenly' discover that i gained weight and waist is not fitting pants any more, i step on scale and get shocked by a 77 digit number,  then i reduce calories and my MTB season begins until i get it fought down to 71.5 kg (or even to 69.5 once with the help of some friends in a weight loss betting contest) over a few month.
In summer there is gardening work add to the mix as a lets call it: 'natural crossfit'.  and in late autumn when the weather gets uninviting for outdoor activities it all died down ...and the weight creeps up slowly again.

This year i added running to the mix, because its easier to squeeze into schedule then MTB rides and i can arse myself easier to do a short 1.5 miles run in unfriendly weather the getting out the bike for an hour. (or i hope so)
For extra motivation i dared to enlisted to a running event in my area with about 10 000 participants for the 5km, so i was bound ...and 'forced' to run more often.
The event 2weeks ago went well, and it was quite an experience to run in a big city main road cordoned off and spectators in multiple rows on the side... so i will keep running to the mix but from the heart i am more a MTB guy. (and the video as a whole showcase the trails surfaces /surrounding i prefer, singletrail if possible not a street or race biker)               

- on a side note
@11:00 i path the spot where i had once seen the ghost-figure  (i turn the bodycam to the left)
we had talked about in ghost experiences /spooky places threads here, and may even wayback in the 'ol forum...
  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1346.msg26614#msg26614

JudgeDredd

Yeah but that's MTBs - you SoBs are mental  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2017, 12:14:22 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 19, 2017, 11:51:00 AM
...a 6" Subway meal deal...
can we discuss?  ;D

Twice a day? That isn't bad. But three times a day still works, just slower and with less leeway for family-social feasts.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!