Author Topic: 13th Doctor Announced  (Read 961 times)

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
Re: 13th Doctor Announced
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
I'm hoping for a Horta companion.

The lesbian love scenes will be kinda tricky though.

NO
KISS
I
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:57 AM »
^lmao
"Everything's better with apple cider vinegar and a squeaky clean urethra." - Gus

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »
I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating Jelly babies.

WTF are "jelly babies"?

If you had a nerd card you just lost it.

Next he's going to ask about the guy with the ridiculously long scarf
"Everything's better with apple cider vinegar and a squeaky clean urethra." - Gus

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:02 AM »
I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating Jelly babies.

WTF are "jelly babies"?

If you had a nerd card you just lost it.

I thought he was typo'ing Jelly Bellies

I've seen an occasional one-off episode of the show.  I get a lot of the lore / references. 
I was never particularly entertained by it and preferred to watch other stuff.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »

Knight Rider and the original Battlestar Galactica was such compelling television :P

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »

Knight Rider and the original Battlestar Galactica Galactica '80 was such compelling television :P

FTFY
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
Galactica '80. What a suckfest that was, even back then in the Era of Sucky TV.

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
for a good chunk of those years, I was living in Germany.  I was either out climbing the Alps or watching MTV on videocassette b/c we weren't in range of any AFN / BBC stations, and only got 2 German ones over-the-air where we were.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Sir Slash

• Crossbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
I never watched Doctor Who either. Too British for my tastes. If the Brits HAVE to be in space, they should restrict themselves to doing what they do best, playing Loki-like evil villians.   :2funny: 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
I never watched Doctor Who either. Too British for my tastes. If the Brits HAVE to be in space, they should restrict themselves to doing what they do best, playing LokiTarkin-like evil villians.   :2funny:

I won't say "fixed" because the other is also valid. But more appropriate for the time period of jelly babies.
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:27 AM »
The limit still exists.  The Doctor had his full 13 regenerations (Tennant regenerated twice), ending with Matt Smith's.  In the 2013 Christmas Special "Time of the Doctor", the Doctor was gifted with a new 13 regenerations by the Time Lords, so the Capaldi Doctor was the first of a new set of 13.  The Master was in a similar situation.

Yeah, but they've teased since then that his limit for regeneration might be off. (I'm thinking of the scene from the Mummy on the Orient Express as one example.)

GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2017, 10:24:05 AM »
It's not much of a limit if you can just be "gifted" 13 more.

Offline bob48

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
I never watched Doctor Who either. Too British for my tastes. If the Brits HAVE to be in space, they should restrict themselves to doing what they do best, playing Loki-like evil villians.   :2funny:

...Spiny Norman will be paying you a visit...............
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Offline bbmike

• Landsknecht
    • AAR Central
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
Dinsdale?
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:45 PM »
It's not much of a limit if you can just be "gifted" 13 more.

(Well, 12 more regens.) They were written as special situations for both the Doctor and the Master (who actually got his new set some time previously, between the TV film and the 9th Doctor). Had those situations not occurred, they would have in principle died the final death.

Of course someone has to write up the situation, not just pull it from a hat. (Kind of pulled from a hat for the Master, to be fair, but there was a serious rationale for it, too: he was the TLs' first choice for leading the fight in the Time War, but when he saw how bad things were he fled.)

On the other hand, the Master has been rather consistently trying to beat the regeneration limit on his own terms since his introduction (years before the limit was even introduced into the plot).

Relatedly, River used up all her remaining regenerations to heal the Doctor at one point, and so legitimately died without regenerating. (This was in her first episode, long before anyone had written her has part TL.) But she beat the limit by how she died, being placed into the largest database in the galaxy, and (hinted) giving herself a new body thereby at some point.

The real threat is being killed so fast or hard that it shorts out the regen process. Or being trapped in a fate worse than death where regeneration isn't possible or won't help.