13th Doctor Announced

Started by mirth, July 16, 2017, 01:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 17, 2017, 01:14:45 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 17, 2017, 11:24:05 AM
It's not much of a limit if you can just be "gifted" 13 more.

(Well, 12 more regens.)

yeah, yeah.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Tpek

(Well, 12 more regens.) They were written as special situations for both the Doctor and the Master (who actually got his new set some time previously, between the TV film and the 9th Doctor). Had those situations not occurred, they would have in principle died the final death.

Of course someone has to write up the situation, not just pull it from a hat. (Kind of pulled from a hat for the Master, to be fair, but there was a serious rationale for it, too: he was the TLs' first choice for leading the fight in the Time War, but when he saw how bad things were he fled.)

On the other hand, the Master has been rather consistently trying to beat the regeneration limit on his own terms since his introduction (years before the limit was even introduced into the plot).

Relatedly, River used up all her remaining regenerations to heal the Doctor at one point, and so legitimately died without regenerating. (This was in her first episode, long before anyone had written her has part TL.) But she beat the limit by how she died, being placed into the largest database in the galaxy, and (hinted) giving herself a new body thereby at some point.

The real threat is being killed so fast or hard that it shorts out the regen process. Or being trapped in a fate worse than death where regeneration isn't possible or won't help.

In one of the season/series finales, with Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman, Jenna's character meets River's ghost.

Sir Slash

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy scared the shit out of me. Nothing but British people, aliens, and monsters all over the Universe. Except for the guy with two heads was American if I remember correctly. I never started watching the Doctor because I was afraid I would get hooked on it and be as bad as the rest of you. It could be worse though. There could be hairy Frenchmen and women in space instead.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

It scares me you knew that so quickly Bob.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

(Well, 12 more regens.) They were written as special situations for both the Doctor and the Master (who actually got his new set some time previously, between the TV film and the 9th Doctor). Had those situations not occurred, they would have in principle died the final death.

Of course someone has to write up the situation, not just pull it from a hat. (Kind of pulled from a hat for the Master, to be fair, but there was a serious rationale for it, too: he was the TLs' first choice for leading the fight in the Time War, but when he saw how bad things were he fled.)

On the other hand, the Master has been rather consistently trying to beat the regeneration limit on his own terms since his introduction (years before the limit was even introduced into the plot).

Relatedly, River used up all her remaining regenerations to heal the Doctor at one point, and so legitimately died without regenerating. (This was in her first episode, long before anyone had written her has part TL.) But she beat the limit by how she died, being placed into the largest database in the galaxy, and (hinted) giving herself a new body thereby at some point.

The real threat is being killed so fast or hard that it shorts out the regen process. Or being trapped in a fate worse than death where regeneration isn't possible or won't help.

The Time Lord Council also gave The Master a new set of regenerations in the classic series.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

bbmike

^That's exactly how he got them!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

I loved that episode. A classic.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bbmike on July 17, 2017, 03:07:02 PM

The Time Lord Council also gave The Master a new set of regenerations in the classic series.

In the Five Doctors yeah?  He never got to use them though, the Ainley master never regenerated before the Daleks vaporized him and he ended up as a spooky space snake that possessed Eric Roberts. 

Man there's too much to remember about this show.  I feel like I've got a better handle on it than some, but I guess that's what one gets for continuous watching since 1982.   Of course there's so much of it there's always something mis-remembered and forgotten. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys