LEGION showrunner confirms a DOCTOR DOOM film is in preproduction

Started by JasonPratt, July 21, 2017, 08:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Noah Hawley, at the SDCC2017 panel for the Fox TV show LEGION (which is another X-men continuity from the film series, itself not exactly beholden to continuity ;) ), has confirmed that he's already working with Marvel on a film featuring Doctor Doom.

Now, the impression from various YouTubers reporting this, is that this will be a solo film. What he actually said was that he's working on a film with Marvel, and that it involved Doctor Doom, although the way he said it made Doom seem a major priority.

Given the failure of the original FF duology, and the recent 4stick reboot, there's no way to tell yet if Fox is rebooting again, or giving up to try Sony's plan of temporarily granting the character rights back to Marvel Studios for a while (in order to build reputation for trying again on their own).

Fox has also made noises recently about wanted to reboot the FF into their X-Men films as a shared universe of properties, so the Doom film might actually be an X-Men film with him as the antagonist.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Another possibility just occurred to me: if the lone character rights are going back to Marvel Studios, the plan might be to use Doom as the new Iron Man, replacing Stark -- something like this is happening in current comics continuity with "The Infamous Iron Man", and a penitent Doom.

In that case, I would suppose that instead of a penitent Doom (which wouldn't work without prior establishment really), he'd be more of a true anti-hero.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

Are FF / Doom bound up in the X-Men rights?  I thought Doom was on the MCU side of the licensing house
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Doom is caught up in the FF licensing deal with Fox. Not sure if it's all one deal for FF and X-men, but Fox still has FF/Doom for now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 21, 2017, 08:26:39 AM
Another possibility just occurred to me: if the lone character rights are going back to Marvel Studios, the plan might be to use Doom as the new Iron Man, replacing Stark -- something like this is happening in current comics continuity with "The Infamous Iron Man", and a penitent Doom.

In that case, I would suppose that instead of a penitent Doom (which wouldn't work without prior establishment really), he'd be more of a true anti-hero.

There's been speculation about this. I could see FOX letting Doom into the MCU for this purpose, as a one-off to help them rejevunate FF in another attempt to build the franchise at FOX.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus