Avengers: Infinity War

Started by mirth, July 15, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

More detail, no more spoilers, from BtSGrace.

"The best part of the film is the spoilers." "Never heard so many audible gasps at a press screening." "Feels hollow afterward, though." "Pretty clear most or all of the shock things won't stick." "Unrelenting... like the napalm scene in Apocalypse Now but the whole film." "Repeatability factor" seems oddly low.

"No battles as intricate as the airport fight" in Cap3.  :o

One female character gets fridged. (Maybe more than one.) Well, that's unlikely to be Gamora since her ties with the Thanos plot are so strong, which leaves Widow and Pepper -- both of which seem highly likely to me. I suppose several female characters from Black Panther could count, though, come to think of it. ("Fridging" is a trope where a romantic interest, typically female, is brutally slain to motivate the hero into kicking ass. From that very specific perspective, Romanov would be the clearest option since Banner would be worried about Hulking out too much.) Only two romances in the film, however, at two corners of the galaxy.

Grace thinks this film shouldn't get a pass if Last Jedi doesn't (which suggests she doesn't understand or at least accept rejections of TLJ).

Only one end-credit epilogue, at the very end. Medium importance (by her estimation).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

A much more vanilla review from IGN:

Reviews so far agree the villains are among the best (even maybe the best) of the MCU so far.

Also, Av4 is CLEARLY being set up as a part 2. This is not really a standalone movie, despite us being told that in the marketing. Consequently, I'm putting my Coke money with Palpatine: everyone dies but Ant-Man (and maybe the Wasp), and Phase Four plus Av4 is meant to work out fixing that problem.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Reviewer pastiche. (Everyone also agrees, avoid all spoilers as much as possible.)

Sir Slash

I'm predicting that after Thanos is defeated in Avengers 3 he will fight in the UFC under the name, "The Purple Haze".  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Is that professional wrestling? Because if so, he could make a habit of doing finishing moves and momentum bounces off the ropes, and call himself "Cable".

JasonPratt

Sir Slash

The UCF is Mixed Martial Arts but perhaps the WWE would be a better fit for him. If that doesn't work out he can always get a show on HGTV flipping houses, literally.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

I'm good with not watching any of these reviews from YouTube or anywhere else. I'm going to see it, so I don't need their opinions or nerdiness gunking up MY nerdiness, thankyouverymuch.

mirth

I read the spoilers last night :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on April 25, 2018, 10:26:55 AM
I read the spoilers last night :P

Of course you did. You probably watched a pirated copy of it online, too.  :D

mirth

Nah. I will see it next weekend with the kids. I just wanted to know who dies.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I'm thinking everyone does except for Black Panther. Pretty sure the MCU is going to milk that franchise for all its worth.

I could be wrong but yeah, the death toll is gonna be high. :(

Can't wait to see though.

mirth

BanzaiCat

You could, but then I'd have to kill you.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 25, 2018, 11:00:53 AM
You could, but then I'd have to kill you.

Yeah, but Mirth isn't on the list
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers