Alea Jacta Est MD, Tuna, W8taminute threeway

Started by W8taminute, July 08, 2017, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Hi folks (including my opponents!)

Welcome to the most obscure gaming AAR on Grogheads!  I hope to provide a little bit of AAR storytelling as well as some tips and tricks to the game that MetalDog, Tuna, and myself are playing.  I'm not claiming to be a subject matter expert but just want to share provide some entertainment and hopefully teach a few concepts about the game to those interested.

Turn 1 of Marius(W8t) vs. Sulla(MD) vs. Mithradates(Tuna) roman civil war:

Pretty uneventful for Marius of the Populares.  Since we do not control Rome we lost 20 VP right off the bat.  There was nothing I could have done really to prevent that from happening as my closest force needed to recover from low cohesion.  Sure I could have forced the men to march on Rome and be even more tired and possibly face a fight we could not win but I chose not to.   I did however dump a lot of money into raising local defense forces in major cities around my territories.  I also had funds to spare for some Auxilliae and some warships.  The rest of my starting funds were used to build up my infrastructure in the form of land clearance, road building, and popular support initiatives.  A minor battle was fought between forces from my navy and a land force being transported by ships from Mithradates.

Losing 20VP because I don't control Rome

Small naval battle
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Okay, you're light bluemarine; what colors are MD and Tuna?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

I am red.  And thanks for doing this, W8.  I look forward to learning quickly so we can be a little more evenly matched.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sir Slash

OH Yeah! I'm down with some hot Roman-on-Roman-on-Pontic action. I'd be partial to Sulla though I believe.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MetalDog

JasonPratt

Incidentally, if anyone has dropped out, I could try taking their place?  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

(Wow, I never realized how much of the AGE engine was put into their attempt at converting that World War I boardgame to PC... .... ......... I HAVE PRIOR EXPERIENCE SORT OF AFTER ALL!!  :cowboy: :nerd: )

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 13, 2017, 01:35:24 PM
Incidentally, if anyone has dropped out, I could try taking their place?  O:-)

Hi Jason,

Yeah we did stop this game because MD was no longer able to commit.  I asked Tuna if he wanted to continue but have not heard from him.  If he responds with a yes we'd be happy to have you take MD's place!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

MetalDog

So would MD ;)  :)  Super sorry to bail on this.  I will definitely follow along if this continues.  Might even ask a question or a hundred.

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on July 13, 2017, 10:34:05 PM
So would MD ;)  :)  Super sorry to bail on this.  I will definitely follow along if this continues.  Might even ask a question or a hundred.

No worries MD.  You can always ask any question and I'll be happy to answer.   ;)

Tuna

If you want to start over, that is fine.. I did not consider myself a force to be reckoned with in this battle, but figured I could be a pain in someone's side.. So send a new game, or send JP, MD's files since we only did one anyways correct?

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on July 15, 2017, 04:13:28 PM
If you want to start over, that is fine.. I did not consider myself a force to be reckoned with in this battle, but figured I could be a pain in someone's side.. So send a new game, or send JP, MD's files since we only did one anyways correct?

That's a good idea Tuna.  Yes we only did one turn so Jason should be able to pick up pretty easily.  Do you want to join our game Jason?

JasonPratt

Let the Year of Three Emperors commence!

{four}

FOUR EMPERORS! ...OR FIVE, IT DEPENDS ON HOW YEARS OF ACCESSION ARE COUNTED OR SOMETHING PERHAPS!  :D

I mean, we're all going to be toast when Vespasian arrives anyway.  ::)

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 15, 2017, 09:32:07 PM
Let the Year of Three Emperors commence!

{four}

FOUR EMPERORS! ...OR FIVE, IT DEPENDS ON HOW YEARS OF ACCESSION ARE COUNTED OR SOMETHING PERHAPS!  :D

I mean, we're all going to be toast when Vespasian arrives anyway.  ::)

LoL.  I'll take that as a yes.   ;D

Feel free to PM me your email and I'll send you the turn.

Sir Slash

There was a time when I would never turn down an offer of a good 'three-way'. Now I'll be happy just to watch.  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.