Game of Thrones Season 7

Started by MetalDog, July 01, 2017, 10:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

15 Days before Season 7 hits the screen.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!  As the premier approaches, more and more speculative articles and puff pieces appear online.  One that I found might interest you, a list of 93 GoT characters from least evil to most evil.  I let you find out who they think is the worst.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/every-major-game-thrones-character-195152555.html
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Steelgrave

I binge-watched seasons 3-6 and I'm so ready for Season 7. The show has gotten better every season imho.

jamus34

Without reading the article I would have to say Ramsey Bolton followed by the mountain (at least the book version) and Joffrey.

Most people in the story are not evil per se, self centered and egotistical yes but not purposely evil.
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

I won't spoil it, but you're close.

bayonetbrant

HBO2 has the entire series on re-run, non-stop, for the next week. 

I've got S1 on HBO-2W right now
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 01, 2017, 02:50:16 PM
HBO2 has the entire series on re-run, non-stop, for the next week. 

I've got S1 on HBO-2W right now

Crap, I missed that. I could have recorded and finally watched this series. Though I wonder if my DVR could hold the entire series.  :))
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

The trailers for this new season are phenomenal...this season looks amazing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I had stopped after Season 5...when Season 5 ended and Season 6 was months away. Since then I haven't watching it but they've been watching it like mad out here. I've only caught bits and pieces but I saw what happened with Cercei in 6, as well as Jon Snow, and Stannis, and...and...and. I have to go back and re-watch the whole thing.

MetalDog

MetalDog

bayonetbrant

I was rewatching a bunch of the show last weekend, and I gotta say, I think a lot of the best moments were all the way back in season 2, and there haven't been a ton of "must see" moments for me since then, with the exception of the battle of Hardhome and the raising of the dead at the end of it.

But the earlier scenes, like Dany 'rebuilding' her tribe and then taking command of the Unsullied and having them kill the masters, or the early forays beyond the wall, or Tyrion as the Hand of the King essentially running King's Landing, were all back in season 2 and all way more interesting to me.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

an alternative perspective

http://theweek.com/articles/710374/game-thrones-bad--bad

while I don't agree with the conclusions of the article - in which he magnifies some of the more nutso moments and commonplace - I have a hard time finding fault with this statement, particularly after the last few years detouring into education

QuoteThere is a deeper sense in which the old problems that were the hallmark of realist fiction and drama — the old stand-bys of morals, manners, marriage, and money — are simply not interesting to people who are not emotionally mature enough to engage with them. And that group, I think, makes up a larger and larger percentage of the dollars-spending, media-consuming American public each year. We really are, emotionally speaking, a nation of teenagers — albeit horny ones with generous allowances.

Steelgrave

While I admittedly got tired of seeing Jax Teller's ass in every third or forth episode of Sons of Anarchy and while I agree that a lot of violence and sex in the media is gratuitous, the writer seems to be longing for the days of black and white movies where there were clearly defined good guys and bad guys and women knew their place. To label viewers as not being "emotionally mature" because they don't share his ideas of what is moral, mannered, marriaged or monied makes me want to slap a "get off my lawn" sticker across his forehead and shove him back into his rocking chair. Most of the events in Game of Thrones are based on real events, including The Red Wedding and incest among royalty. It's history fictionalized. Cultural norms differ, few people are all good or bad and frankly anti-heroes are more realistic than John Wayne caricatures. Realist fiction and drama are an issue for the writer? Fine. Cable is filled with the crap I grew up watching in the sixties and seventies. Dial up some Nickelodeon or reruns of The 100 Club. Give me modern drama and fiction any day.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 12, 2017, 03:19:47 PMTo label viewers as not being "emotionally mature" because they don't share his ideas of what is moral, mannered, marriaged or monied makes me want to slap a "get off my lawn" sticker across his forehead and shove him back into his rocking chair.

the author is in his mid-30s