IAF Leader

Started by JudgeDredd, June 16, 2017, 07:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Me, either. I was thinking it was a Czech-built and -designed aircraft. Never knew Messy had anything to do with it.

Staggerwing

It was based on the 109G.

The Spanish also made an Me109 after the war but used, of all things, Rolls Royce Merlin engines.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

RR Merlin engines... best of the era.  O0

BanzaiCat

Funny the Israelis flew Me-109s...

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 04, 2017, 07:14:53 PM

Even funnier is that a number of those early Israeli pilots were actually USAAF combat vets who helped smuggle those planes from Czechoslovakia into the Levant against the wishes of the US gov't.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from the rule book on the B-17
The US gave Israel just 3 B-17 bombers, so they were used in almost every operation. Being used so often meant they needed repairs frequently
That frequent repairs statement is employed by making the user pay 1 Special Option point everytime they are used.

But you will likely have to use them everytime because you've only got fighters that have a weight point of 1 allowing either 2 Mk81s (with only 1 hit chance each at a roll of 8 ) or 1 Mk82 (with 2 hit chances - though at 7 and 10, only 1 is remotely likely). Taking a B-17 along gives you 10 Mk81s or 5 Mk82s

So picking pilots with a positive ATG is essential to assisting in destroying targets.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 04, 2017, 07:21:49 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 04, 2017, 07:14:53 PM

Even funnier is that a number of those early Israeli pilots were actually USAAF combat vets who helped smuggle those planes from Czechoslovakia into the Levant against the wishes of the US gov't.

There's a good documentary, regarding this subject, on Amazon Prime IIRC.

BanzaiCat

You play any of the other campaigns yet, JD?

I'm just now finally getting to getting through the rules after punching and organizing everything. Looks much the same as some other Leader games but with some twists. I'll be doing a video review of it soon.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2017, 06:58:09 PM
You play any of the other campaigns yet, JD?

I'm just now finally getting to getting through the rules after punching and organizing everything. Looks much the same as some other Leader games but with some twists. I'll be doing a video review of it soon.
Nope. I played my campaign and had a terrible score. It's now boxed for the time being whilst I try out Advanced Platoon Leader and then Time Over Target.

As you quite rightly put in another post somewhere - just not enough time for all these games

As with all my games, I look forward to getting it out again some time - when that will be, God alone knows.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I just completed a review of APL...a video review, so it'll take me a couple of days to edit it together.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 29, 2017, 09:15:21 AM
I just completed a review of APL...a video review, so it'll take me a couple of days to edit it together.
I look forward to it. Front page?
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 29, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Oh aye, front page it 'tis!  O0 (Next weekend, I believe - Aug 5 or so.)

It's probably going to be a bit on the long side; I think I have about 52 minutes or so of footage. I've edited about 1/3 of it and know I should be able to shave a few more minutes off of it. There's a lot to talk about. :)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 29, 2017, 06:06:57 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 29, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Oh aye, front page it 'tis!  O0 (Next weekend, I believe - Aug 5 or so.)

It's probably going to be a bit on the long side; I think I have about 52 minutes or so of footage. I've edited about 1/3 of it and know I should be able to shave a few more minutes off of it. There's a lot to talk about. :)
Oh - I'll be drunk all that weekend. Army reunion  C:-) - it'll maybe help me ease into Sunday  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

^ Hahahaha

I think you said your first mission was 1948. That one is not an introductory game; it's rated as 'skilled' and if that's what you started with, likely it's a good reason why you had your arse handed t'ye. :)

The first (chronologically, anyway) campaign that's introductory is the 1967 one. Much more forgiving. Then again you might learn more from the game by diving into the deep end, so...

JudgeDredd

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 30, 2017, 08:53:28 AM
^ Hahahaha

I think you said your first mission was 1948. That one is not an introductory game; it's rated as 'skilled' and if that's what you started with, likely it's a good reason why you had your arse handed t'ye. :)

The first (chronologically, anyway) campaign that's introductory is the 1967 one. Much more forgiving. Then again you might learn more from the game by diving into the deep end, so...
Oh I learnt some.

Resources are scarce. Weapons are scarce. Weapons are crap. Pilots aren't great. A lot of cannon work required, though AA is pretty poor also, thankfully.
Alba gu' brath