Main Menu

Photobucket

Started by JudgeDredd, June 07, 2017, 04:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mirth on July 11, 2017, 11:01:41 AM
They're really targeting the people who are using the service to post lots of pics to eBay, etsy, and so forth. Those people are running businesses and getting free image hosting. Those are the users who can afford the $400 per year. And even if they get a small percentage of the total user base to pay, that could be some serious cash.

I don't think they care about the casual users who can't afford the $400/yr. Stay or go, they're not going to be revenue generating for Photobucket.

I don't agree with how Photobucket has handled it, but I do understand it. They are spending lots of money on free image hosting and not making more than a fraction of it back from advertising. They either need to come up with new revenue streams or close the company.
My bold - they could've had both. How many millions of people will just drop them because of their small minded, narrow view of their revenue? If 1m people leave and they could've charged $10 per year per person - that's $10m. That's some serious money for a few hard drives and servers.

Again - had they said I needed to go ad-free or pay $10 a year for third party hosting AND left my historical posts intact, I'd have likely stayed and paid. Likely. The fact they thought it was a good idea to tell me everything I had done with them up to now was of no interest to them and I can go cry means I would leave them regardless of what they were offering.
Alba gu' brath

Bison

Well photobucket finally sent me the email of "fuck you dear customer" and I just checked my AARs here and elsewhere images are gone.  I guess its time I write them a note back with similar sentiments.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2017, 10:36:31 AM
services weren't ever really "free" - you were the product to be sold to the advertisers
But as the advertisers start to realize the ROI just isn't there, are people really going to be willing to pay for services that were previously "free" (ie, paid for by someone else)

That's a much bigger discussion for elsewhere, but over the next 15 years, there's a lot of media consumption decisions that will come down to "are you willing to pay for it?"

https://hackernoon.com/how-google-collapsed-b6ffa82198ee
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 12, 2017, 05:29:32 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2017, 10:36:31 AM
services weren't ever really "free" - you were the product to be sold to the advertisers
But as the advertisers start to realize the ROI just isn't there, are people really going to be willing to pay for services that were previously "free" (ie, paid for by someone else)

That's a much bigger discussion for elsewhere, but over the next 15 years, there's a lot of media consumption decisions that will come down to "are you willing to pay for it?"

https://hackernoon.com/how-google-collapsed-b6ffa82198ee

Interesting read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

Yeah just got my FU letter from them tonight. Just deleted my account. FU right back.  >:(

Silent Disapproval Robot

I can't even delete my account.  When I set it up, you could use passwords shorter than 8 characters so I did.  When they upgraded their security, I couldn't make a password change because it would ask for my old one and then inform me that it was lot of required length and shut the process down.  I could still log in, I just couldn't change my password.  Now it won't let me delete my account for the same reason.  I just went through and deleted every pic.  All 44 pages worth, one page at a time.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 12, 2017, 08:55:16 PM
I can't even delete my account.  When I set it up, you could use passwords shorter than 8 characters so I did.  When they upgraded their security, I couldn't make a password change because it would ask for my old one and then inform me that it was lot of required length and shut the process down.  I could still log in, I just couldn't change my password.  Now it won't let me delete my account for the same reason.  I just went through and deleted every pic.  All 44 pages worth, one page at a time.

Couldn't you have emailed them?

Not that they would have helped without asking you for money, probably...

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried but in order to go through their support system, you have to enter your password so....same issue.  I could have gone down the rabbit hole and eventually got in touch with them, I'm sure but I just didn't care enough to do so.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 12, 2017, 09:30:41 PM
I just didn't care enough to do so.

Yeah, if you have other options, it's not worth the time.

Besides, you have six new games coming in a week, don't you? You have plenty of AAR fodder to choose from.  O0

JudgeDredd

Can you bulk download or bulk delete photos?

I'm not overly fussed - but I'd rather not delete my account and leave my images for PB to use for whatever they like - especially promotion of inflating their figures (and ego)
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I couldn't find the option to bulk delete so I had to do it page by page.

mirth

I don't believe there is a bulk delete option. Unless it's an upsell feature :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

I believe that if you delete your pix Photobucket may retain copies anyway as they say that anything you upload becomes theirs to do with as they please, even per the old TOS.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

That sounds about right.