Main Menu

The Orville

Started by mirth, May 16, 2017, 11:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

With a little bit of searching, I see that the part of the robot, Isaac, is voiced by Mark Jackson.  I'd eat my hat if I didn't think it was Brent Spiner, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

I saw him credited as Isaac in the opening credits of Ep 2, but wasn't sure he was meant to be the voice, with Spiner being uncredited for the fun of it.

Still, a couple of times in Sunday's ep I thought I heard his impression slip, which edged it back away from Spiner for me. Glad to hear someone was less lazy than me and researched it!  O0

I was also happy when Dad discovered that the DVR software knew to keep recording to get the whole ep, so we watched it last night. Aside from the low humor I'm still very much okay with it, although I have a suspicion that the network has shown the episode out of plot order, since the script acts like we're supposed to know the Worf-guy's husband or lover or whatever already. It's also possible that Fox decided to nix the ep from broadcast, I suppose.

(On that topic, if someone is laying an egg they aren't "male", and if someone is seeding the egg they aren't "female". So it's only a monogendered species by the terms of dumb PCness today.  ::) They could have fixed this by making the species transgender, like some amphibians, or maybe heteroaphroditic like worms -- and still be PC, woo! Regardless, the actor is hilarious, and kind of comic genius.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

WallysWorld

6.63 million viewers for episode 2. Down from 8.56 million from the premiere, but still pretty solid considering its wonky start time after the football game.

The series moves to Thursday nights starting tomorrow. I'll continue to watch for now as I have a strange feeling this show might be better than Star Trek: Discovery.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

Forgot to mention that I appreciated the general plot homage to "The Menagerie / The Cage". Different but similar thematics; that's how to do an homage.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

I can't quite tell if this series is trying to be serious with comedy overtones, or a comedy with serious overtones.

Regardless it did make me LOL a couple of times.

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 21, 2017, 12:03:53 PM
Forgot to mention that I appreciated the general plot homage to "The Menagerie / The Cage". Different but similar thematics; that's how to do an homage.

They did handle it nicely. The homage to Trek in general is well done. The writing needs to be tighter and the cast needs to gel, but it has potential.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

There's real heart, and thus some meat, to the eps so far. Gets lost in the Sethistic dialogue, but I realize that's supposed to be a feature not a bug.  ::)

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 21, 2017, 03:51:18 PM
Gets lost in the Sethistic dialogue, but I realize that's supposed to be a feature not a bug.  ::)

I like him and the style, but I get how some people don't care for him/it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

I'm really trying to talk myself into watching this but I know I won't be able to take the lowbrow humor.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

And yet, you hang out here with us. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

Heck, I just found out that the "Reds!" thread isn't about the threat of communist aggression, or gaming thereof, at all!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 21, 2017, 04:51:40 PM
Heck, I just found out that the "Reds!" thread isn't about the threat of communist aggression, or gaming thereof, at all!

Ha!  O0

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on September 21, 2017, 04:45:04 PM
I'm really trying to talk myself into watching this but I know I won't be able to take the lowbrow humor.

The humor is fairly low key, at least in the first couple eps. It's not the dominant element. The show plays like TNG with some jokes sprinkled in.

bbmike

Quote from: OJsDad on September 21, 2017, 04:48:44 PM
And yet, you hang out here with us.

Some of the humor here may be crude but there is definitely intelligence behind it.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

From a man who understands the value of intelligence 👍