5th Ed D&D solo

Started by acctingman, April 29, 2017, 07:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

I've got a wild hair up my arse. I want to try and play D&D (using maps/mini's) and pre-made adventures...solo

Any suggestions as how to approach this or sites out there that may have some advice.

Also, are there any sources for free adventures?

Gracias!!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

acctingman

Thanks bbmike. That's a great starting point!  O0

Nefaro

Also check out the Gamemaster's Apprentice decks, which provides similar stuff to the GM Emulator but is faster since you only need to flip cards instead of rolling dice for every plot advancement question:

Direct Link:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/125685/The-GameMasters-Apprentice-Base-Deck

Earlier GH thread discussion:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=17690.0

I picked up a couple sets of those cards, but the basic one is all you need; the others are only minor genre modifictions of those 120.   You can also d/l the ALONE Beta suggestions for building & running fresh adventures with those, for free, from DTRPG.

They're also good for coming up with NPC motivations, names (using anagrams), random directions, sights/sounds/etc.  Pretty dense in what it provides.

I also own the aforementioned MGME, Covetous Poet's GM Creator, and The Location Crafter PDFs from DTRPG which all do pretty much the same thing in somewhat different ways.  Since each has different narrative structuring, I'll pick & choose the construction guidelines from each as needed.

acctingman

Thanks Nefaro

I need to really think about what it is I need here. I think, ultimately, what I'm looking for is a card based encounter deck. I think they made some old AD&D encounter cards. Maybe I should try and find those.

Anyone here care to chime in and tell me what addition of D&D this would work best for? The ONLY experience I have is with 3.5 but since all I'm really going to be doing is rolling a shit ton of dice and drooling over loot, I think I'd want the best combat and loot table system  :idiot2:

Bison

Have you looked at the Pathfinder Adventure Card Games?  It seems to hit what you want to do play heroes, fight monsters, chuck dice, and gather loot.  It's solo or multiplayer and has campaigns and multiple games as either expansions or base game.

acctingman

Thanks Bison, I'll take a look at it!

acctingman

Watched a couple videos of that Pathfinder game. There are some elements I do like, but it reminds me of MtG.

Also, I'm looking to use mini's and maps, but, there are some nice things that game has to offer. Thanks

acctingman

I looked at a couple BGG videos for the D&D board games and I have to say....I think that might be what I'm looking for.

The mini's are ugly though  :o

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on April 30, 2017, 02:01:03 AM
I looked at a couple BGG videos for the D&D board games and I have to say....I think that might be what I'm looking for.

The mini's are ugly though  :o

Their mechanics are based on a trimmed down version of the 4th Edition D&D rules IIRC.

The biggest complaint I probably have about the D&D board games is that there is no RPG-like progression between scenarios.  They're just single shots, then you start the next one back at the starting character level.  Well... at least they were like that up until the latest one, where there is some carryover, although I'm not sure if it's very pronounced.

There are a ton of solitaire Fantasy adventure board games available nowadays. 

I'm rather partial to FFG's Descent now that it has both official solo systems and user-created ways to run the multi-player campaigns. 

There are also a number of card-focused ones, as opposed to minis, which do the same thing.  Those often seem to promote more planning ahead with wider variation of strategies, but still have some sort of location/exploration mechanics.  Although the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is one many people think of, I've enjoyed others such as the Mage Knight boardgame, Doomrock + expansion, and perhaps Mistfall to name a few.  And those are only the Fantasy themed ones!

acctingman

I think I'm going to have a game that closely resembles what I want and maybe tweak it.....to whatever the hell it is I'm trying to accomplish.

Got lots of great starting points that's for sure.

CJReich46

I have some links if you would like. There's even a free beta test from Ganesha Games to test out their latest:

This is to a Google G+ group called Lone Wolf Roleplaying - They do all kinds of solo roleplaying, ideas, systems etc.

https://plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510

This is to the Ganesha Games beta for a storytelling game called High Stakes:
http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?products_id=318

Also they have a great solo dungeon crawler called 4 Against Darkness too. :)

Another great handy tool - is Rory's Story Cubes you can even get them as an app for iPhone or on Google Play.  There's word they're making a Rory's Cube RPG system.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

bayonetbrant

Quote from: CJReich46 on May 01, 2017, 08:15:42 PMGoogle G+ group called Lone Wolf Roleplaying -

is it b/c they play on their own, or is it an homage to Joe Devers "Lone Wolf" series?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

CJReich46

It's more because they play solo. I don't think it has anything to do with the Joe Devers (RIP) game.

They cover all sorts of gaming systems from Tunnels and Trolls (which lends itself very well to Solo) to Barbarian Prince etc.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose