"Bloody" Day at ESPN today

Started by bayonetbrant, April 26, 2017, 10:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

The sad part is ESPNs own article on the survey emphasized that 30%! of viewers thought they had a conservative bias.  The geniuses at ESPN think people are idiots and failed to mention that nearly 70% believed it had a liberal bias.  It was the 30% they kept emphasizing over and over.  Frankly ESPN can continue to tank for all I care. 

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 08, 2017, 08:00:19 AM
Frankly ESPN can continue to tank for all I care. 

Yep. I could care less about the fate of ESPN.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on June 08, 2017, 08:00:19 AM
The sad part is ESPNs own article on the survey emphasized that 30%! of viewers thought they had a conservative bias.  The geniuses at ESPN think people are idiots and failed to mention that nearly 70% believed it had a liberal bias.  It was the 30% they kept emphasizing over and over.  Frankly ESPN can continue to tank for all I care. 

No, you read the stats wrong
Here's the quote

QuoteThirty percent – that would be three out of every ten – detected bias, meaning the vast majority – 70 percent – detected no bias. Of the "ESPN is biased" group, 63 percent detected a liberal bias, while 30 percent detected a conservative bias.

70% detected no bias at all, and 30% detected some.

Of those 30%, 63% leaned liberal and 30% leaned conservative.

So of the overall sample:

70% = No bias at all
19% = Liberal bias
9% = Conservative bias
Now, there's 7% of viewers who "detected a bias" (of that 30%) but didn't manage to fall into either the liberal or conservative camp, so not really sure what they were detecting.  They account for about 2% of the overall sample.

Yes, more people detected a liberal bias than a conservative one.  But fewer than 1-in-5 of the overall sample thought there was a liberal bias, and just under 1-in-10 thought ESPN leaned conservative.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Gee, in that case I'll start watching ESPN more.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

The ESPN article emphasized that 30%!!! of those who detected bias detetected conservative bias.  30%! Guys for realz! 30%!  We are so conservative!  They never mentioned the 70%.  The also never released the results.  So who the hell knows what the actual samples were for the survey. 

In other news, they are trying to court people by bringing back Hank Williams Jr. for Monday Night Football.  Remember they fired him for daring to criticize The One?  Yup that offsets the day time programming rants of Stephen A. Smith and other bigots. ESPN should cut some of the channels and only show sport events and reruns of those events.  Maybe a highlight show or two and drop the politics totally, because no one needs ESPN any longer in the age of the internet to watch or get sports news and certainly not for more political discussions. 

mirth

Stephen A. Smith is a good example. I think he's pretty bright guy and I enjoyed him when he focused on the NBA. I don't give a rat's ass about his social and political views. He's entitled to them, I just have no interest in watching a show about them.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 08, 2017, 08:28:55 AMStephen A. Smith is a good example. I think he's pretty bright guy and I enjoyed him when he focused on the NBA. I don't give a rat's ass about his social and political views. He's entitled to them, I just have no interest in watching a show about them.

I completely agree with you.

But those shout-fest shows are cheap to make, and they bring in higher ratings than anything else they've got available at that time.

Everyone on those shows is already under some kind of contract to ESPN, so the talent cost is a wash. They use their own studios / production crews, so no extra cost there.  In short, no rights fees/labor costs to make the show, and higher ratings than either SC reruns or whatever sporting events are available at that time of day. 

It's a no-brainer business decision, even if it's a lousy choice for viewers.

Bison

The one program that was decent was outside the lines.  It was limited to Sunday or Saturday mornings and wasn't at that time in your face SJW propaganda.  They did good stories in a 60 Minutes vein.  Sure some times it touched on politics, but not always and generally from a human interest story point of view.  I remember one on Evander Holyfield that was very good.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on June 08, 2017, 08:44:17 AM
The one program that was decent was outside the lines.  It was limited to Sunday or Saturday mornings and wasn't at that time in your face SJW propaganda.  They did good stories in a 60 Minutes vein.  Sure some times it touched on politics, but not always and generally from a human interest story point of view.  I remember one on Evander Holyfield that was very good.

they've actually expanded that one to OTL Daily now and it's going to be more prominent in the Fall schedule.

Of additional interest, this podcast talks about a bunch of the changes at ESPN, and talks explicitly about the perceived bias of the network.  Bob Ley is also one of the more politically/socially conservative guys at the network, too.  It's interesting to hear some of the war stories from two long-time ESPN staffers.
https://soundcloud.com/si-media-podcast-with-richard-deitsch/bob-ley-and-jeremy-schaap-of-espn

bayonetbrant

some pretty interesting perspective on what's happened at ESPN from Bill Simmons

[yt]https://youtu.be/Wqj44wbPl9E[/yt]

MetalDog

Is she saying Vox or Fox?  Cuz if it's Vox, Simmons is sunk.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Vox

he's cut a deal to move The Ringer over there b/c their ad platform gives them better targeting / control.  Medium has mostly killed their ad-driven model, and most of The Ringer's ad revenue is from their extensive podcast network.

MetalDog

Well, I was insinuating it would be their left lean that would sink him.  Everyone knows liberals hate sports.  How do you think we ended up with everyone gets a trophy?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

he's going to be on their back-end platform, but I think he's going to be his own branded site, like he is today on Medium.