The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=587

QuoteNew naval warfare features

The modeling of ships has been improved. Instead of treating ships as a single piece of equipment, like a gun or a squad, they are now treated as complex systems that incur damage in combat. Ships have new armor, durability, accuracy, speed, and agility parameters.
Embarked units no longer employ their own strengths in defense. Naval combat now evaluates attackers' Anti-Naval strengths as individual shots/planes – employing their shell weights to determine armor penetration and resulting damage.
Sea Interdiction can now be employed by aircraft, ships, and coastal guns. Ships subjected to sea interdiction fire counterbattery back (or, in the case of carriers, counterstrikes).
New Supply system

There is now an intermediate supply state that falls between "Supplied" and "Unsupplied". It's called "Overextended". A new parameter called the Overextended Supply Threshold has been implemented. That is the location supply value below which locations are overextended. Units in such hexes will function somewhat between how supplied and unsupplied units function. The result will be that it will be much more difficult for units to press on at red-lined unit conditions from such locations.
Motorized unit movement over improved roads can be set by the designer to be less than one MP per improved road hex (for example, ½ MP per hex). If optioned, this affects supply in that supply lines traced over improved roads will extend proportionately further than over other terrain, like regular roads. Note how this would especially affect desert scenarios.
The limit of 50% unit supply recovery per turn has been lifted.
Other game features

Range Limits: Ranged units can have their nominal ranges player limited. This can be used to tailor bomber ranges to match fighter cover ranges or to make units with multiple range equipment operate within the range of the shortest-ranged equipment. The DBR will reflect the modified range.
Deployment Recovery: Ranged units retain their deployment states after combat and ground assaulters can recover theirs if a planned combat is canceled.
New Bridge Destruction Rules: There is an option to limit bridge hexes (for destruction purposes) to locations where the road feature graphically crosses the river feature.
Combat Report Review. Combat reports are saved in the pbl/sal files for review by both players during their player turns.
Adaptation of Matrix's PBEM++ system.
New Map and Interface artwork

Jarhead0331

Awesome! Can't wait to see some screenshots.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

That is great.  Is the product page new?  I don't remember seeing it before.  If its new, does that mean the release is near?

bbmike

Another instant purchase for me.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

It's new.  They just announced today.

Bison

This might be the first computer game purchase I've made in awhile.

Steelgrave

Rekim

I haven't played TOAW for many years. Primed for the chance to give another go.

FlickJax

What I don't get  with these Slitherine/Matrix teasers is they are always reluctant to give screenies etc.

solops

TOAW...my all-time favorite game. I look forward to IV, but I hope they have not overdone "Feature and Flexibility" at the expense of playability. Many fixes and vast improvement, regardless. Can't wait.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

chemkid

Quote from: FlickJax on April 12, 2017, 10:27:16 AM
What I don't get  with these Slitherine/Matrix teasers is they are always reluctant to give screenies etc.

...better no screenies than some mappacks! right, guys?! they didn't do the mappack trick for a while, right? who's with me?!!

:D

beers!
chem!

demjansk1942

I will buy this one even though 3 is still great

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

spelk

Do we know if this is a full rebuild ground up or just an evolution of the previous version (perhaps going a bit further than the last UI update on TOAW3)?