Fly the Friendly Skies

Started by mirth, April 10, 2017, 11:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Economy,  first class, you're always being judged.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

You're being judged more than most.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 31, 2017, 04:36:08 PM

I won't lie. Any time I flew first class, it felt like everyone else was judging those of us sitting up there.

Glorious isn't it.... \m/

BanzaiCat

Yep, absolutely was. And it's not just wider seats and doting service - getting on the plane first and getting off of it first, plus having your bag immediately arrive in baggage claim - all wonderful perks. I used to fly it often when I worked for United or when I'd get mileage-paid seats, but those days are long gone now unfortunately. What I'd really like to do is the first class seats internationally on, say, Emirates.

Barthheart

Flew to Geneva a lot in the early days of ATLAS. So many miles piled up that I didn't even have to upgrade, they'd just bump me up whenever the plane was over booked.
Best ever seat was seat #2, upper deck of a 747. Good times....

BanzaiCat

That would have been awesome. I've seen the first class section on a 747 back when I worked at the airport - went over to British Air at the next gate and they let us on board to take a look around. Of course, this was pre-9/11, so things were pretty lax.

trailrunner

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 01, 2017, 07:31:10 AM
What I'd really like to do is the first class seats internationally on, say, Emirates.

I got to fly business class to and from Copenhagen.  It might've been first class, but either way it was nice.  Plenty of brandy and decent food, but too bad they wouldn't let me light my post-dinner cigar.

BanzaiCat

Business Class on most international flights is the same as First Class domestically in the States. I'd be perfectly happy with that.

I've been lucky on my last few international jaunts, even though I've been resigned to steerage every time. Each time, the middle seat was empty, thank goodness, which gave me a lot more room and comfort.

Sir Slash

Last flight we took, my wife and I got a hell-of-a-deal on seats. We just had to share a cage with two Dobermans and a gassy Shit-Zhu. And none of them would share the water bowl.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: trailrunner on September 01, 2017, 08:05:57 AM
Plenty of brandy and decent food, but too bad they wouldn't let me light my post-dinner cigar.
All them brandy fumes in a confined space! >:D :o
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bbmike

I don't know, if this is true I can kind of see their point:

United said in a statement to Business Insider: "This animal did not meet guidelines for a number of reasons, including its weight and size. We explained this to the customer on three separate occasions before she arrived at the airport."

The airline also said it requires passengers to "provide documentation from a medical professional and at least 48 hours' advance notice" before bringing an emotional-support animal onto a flight.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

A peacock...as a "therapy pet"...

That woman is nuts. Especially because the airline explained it to her thick skull three times.

Peacocks (in my experience) are not nice animals. They're very, VERY aggressive when it comes to food, and just generally aren't nice to have around. (My kids' school had several when they were younger, as well as some other animals. They learned quick to give the peacocks a wide berth.) On a plane, these things would have been disgusting and could have violated any number of health codes. God, people are just getting stupider and stupider. :(