Dr. Who - This will be Peter Capaldi's last season....

Started by DoctorQuest, March 09, 2017, 01:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DoctorQuest

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 15, 2017, 01:36:44 PM
#8 regenerated into the War Doctor (who kind of doesn't count as a "Doctor" per se); regenerated into Ninth Doctor after the Time War, he lasted one season; regenerated into the Tenth Doctor; who cobbled up a way to regenerate into himself; final regeneration would be the Eleventh Doctor.

However, as he was dying the hiding Time Lords sent him a massive burst of power which restocked his regens. So Capaldi, while the Twelfth Doctor per se is the first of a new batch of thirteen. (In theory, if the show runs that long again and they don't have the character burn out a bunch of regenerations as a plot device. The Doctor's Wife used up all her remaining regenerations. But there are ways around that, too -- the Master showed up in the series back in the Third Doctor's day having used up all his regenerations already, and looking for a way to become immortally all-powerful, but he found ways to shapeshift and body-hack. He hasn't been a Time Lord strictly since... the Fourth Doctor's days?)

Twelve quipped at one point in his first season (fighting a ghost mummy, sort of) that he might just keep regenerating forever if he was slain, but that sounds like braggadochio.

Thanks, JP. I knew someone here would set this all straight.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

Quote from: bbmike on March 15, 2017, 02:02:19 PM
I think the Master is still a Time Lord. He was given a new set of regenerations by the Council of Time Lords in exchange for his help in one of the classic series episodes.

Seriously don't think so; but checking around, he was given a new set of regenerations (despite NOT BEING A TIME LORD ANYMORE!! -- having taken new bodies since sometime in Four's era) behind the scenes during the Time War. So when he shows up again during Ten's era, as an old amnesiac man at the end of time, he's able to regenerate (somewhat forcibly) into a new body for his two fights with Ten.

Notably he isn't a Time Lord biologically at any time during the TV Movie (introducing Eight). The TLs evidently put his mind back into a Time Lord body for the Time War, after rescuing him (somehow, handwave) from the Eye of Time in the TARDIS.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Interesting. The Whoniverse is a confusing place!  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

I have to admit that at some point one just has to throw up the hands and remember that the Who writers traditionally love clever-sounding whimsical nonsense fantasy. In 12's first season the moon not only turns out to have zero minerals only an eggshell (despite existing in nominal Earth continuity with moon shots), and bacteria with the shape and behavior of large spiders, but a winged space creature hatching from inside which rapidly gains and loses freakish amounts of mass, and which shortly after its birth (when continent-sized egg-shells simply disintegrate with no harm to Earth) lays another egg the same size as the egg it just hatched from ten seconds earlier to serve as the Earth's new moon going forward -- thus inspiring humanity's space travel and not inspiring them to think of the moon ever afterward as anything other than a giant rock.

That's whimsical fantasy -- which wouldn't be bad except the same writers make fun of scientific ignorance while presenting themselves on the side of scientific enlightenment which their show is supposed to be promoting.  ::) :P

In short, sure the Master probably is biologically a Time Lord again in the story because whatever sounds right or interesting this week is true. I should breathe and just relax.  :nerd: <:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

bbmike

^Hope not, I didn't get a Brigadier vibe from Gatiss.  :(
Just finished the current season. I think Capaldi was the best modern Doctor so far. It will be interesting to see what they do next. I do hope they change the show, I'm tired of the same old rehash since 2005. I still think the classic Dr Who is the best.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bbmike

From Den of Geek:

...it's also been confirmed by the BBC that Mark Gatiss will make also a guest appearance as a WWI soldier "known so far only as 'The Captain'. It's not yet clear whether 'The Captain' will have any connection to Gatiss' previous roles in the series.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Doesn't seem likely he'll be a young Captain LethStew, then (his character looks too old to be a young colonel and brigadier later), although they're sure teasing fans about it with his non-name and general look.

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.