Author Topic: Trump's War on the Media  (Read 19274 times)

Online bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Re: Trump's War on the Media
« Reply #420 on: July 07, 2017, 08:42:53 AM »
I don't know about the shit JP is talking about, but Bigots and racists came in all colors.  Sad but true.  Contrary to the media and leftest propaganda whites aren't the only group capable of being bigots.

this is true.  just like asshats, bigots come in all sorts of stripes
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2017, 08:44:27 AM »
Surprise, people can be assholes and the internet is full of some really pathetic shit. Neither is new information.

Go back and look at some the newspapers from the 19th century. Those guys new how to pillory their political opponents.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »
I'm one of the asshats aren't I?  :P

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #423 on: July 07, 2017, 08:48:22 AM »

You've got nothing on the real douchebags of the internet.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #424 on: July 07, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »

You've got nothing on the real douchebags of the internet.

It's because I'm a generally civil in my obstinate ways.

Online mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #425 on: July 07, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
Generally...

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #426 on: July 07, 2017, 09:16:28 AM »
Generally...

Its important to put a qualifier on things.  :D

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt-at-Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Blunderbuster
« Reply #427 on: July 07, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »
True that.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"When you die, may Hugh Hefner's life pass before your eyes"....traditional Irish blessing

Offline Marty Ward

• Condottieri
« Reply #429 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:43 AM »
"Carl Bernstein depicted the contentious nature of politics as being in the middle of a "cold civil war" as President Trump pushes back against what he calls "fake news" and various news outlets are perceived as espousing different "truths.

Part of the "cold civil war," Berstein added, can be pinned on the "configuration of media with Fox News, with CNN being perceived by different sets of viewers as representing different truths." Singling out Fox News, he said the right-leaning cable news channel has "changed American politics as perhaps no other institution has."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/carl-bernstein-cold-civil-war-gripping-us-as-media-embrace-different-truths/article/2628813
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Online bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #430 on: July 17, 2017, 07:47:24 AM »
he's not particularly wrong

I'm constantly amazed at how obvious truths are frequently denied based on the fact that they don't fit pre-existing biases
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Marty Ward

• Condottieri
« Reply #431 on: July 17, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
he's not particularly wrong

I'm constantly amazed at how obvious truths are frequently denied based on the fact that they don't fit pre-existing biases

True. And it is really hard to get a good mix of views anymore as all that you seem to find are highly partisan ones. I can count the times I have watched MSNBC on 1 finger in the past 2 years. I have watched Fox much more but only because my wife like to have it on. I try to read different views on the net, and the links in this forum and others get to places I never would have found, but even then it is hard to know where the website is coming from.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Offline Marty Ward

• Condottieri
« Reply #432 on: July 17, 2017, 10:45:57 AM »
"If we are going to chastise Trump for norm violations, shouldn't we first establish how normal or abnormal his actions in a given area really are? If we are going to say he is guilty of doing the unprecedented, shouldn't we look to see if there are in fact any precedents?

These "what about" questions also impose some accountability on Trump critics. When asked in good faith, they can be used to determine consistency and avoid double standards.

The tendency to treat everything Trump does as an emergency, without distinction, will make true emergencies more difficult to recognize. And if the press gets it wrong, hyping something that isn't especially unusual, it makes it easier for Trump to dismiss future criticisms or unflattering reports as "fake news."

http://theweek.com/articles/712023/resistance-that-cried-wolf

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2017, 07:16:58 AM »
I don't think his media opponents are really worried about the Crying Wolf effect, because his opposition has set him up to be someone his opponents can never be wrong about in principle for attacking. They might end up being wrong about the factuality of the accusations, but attacking him is ALWAYS in principle the right thing to do.

Supporters for his opposition might get a little tired and annoyed eventually about too many attacks being puffy and/or simply wrong, but they aren't ever going to get tired of the attacks. If the opposition isn't regularly attacking him, they literally aren't doing their jobs right (as far as the Democrats have positioned the situation).

Nor do I think his media and cultural opponents are really worried about his supporters and any neutrals dismissing real problems from the constant wolf-crying: because those people ultimately don't matter for giving that side the power they want, and currently function better anyway as a large 'target' for their supporters to rally against in all walks of life. Any people who don't oppose Trump are positioned as deplorables one way or another. If they initially reject reporting on a real problem, due to fatigue and scepticism over the wolf-crying, that just plays into the narrative being constantly woven by the new-normal radical left.

We look at them and say, "Look, we don't like or trust Trump, but stop with the gibbering mess over every damn thing please, and let us know when there's a real problem." They look at us as part of the real problem, because Trump can only be, in himself and his position, the real problem. It would never matter what he does, he would always be the real problem for them. Which of course is why every thing he ever does, ever, must be spun to be part of the real problem, and any support or non-opposition must be part of the real problem (the real problem being a Trump presidency, especially instead of Clinton's).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:18:41 AM by JasonPratt »
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Online bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #434 on: July 18, 2017, 07:19:15 AM »
I don't think his her media opponents are really worried about the Crying Wolf effect, because his Hillary's opposition has set him up to be someone his opponents can never be wrong about in principle for attacking.

this rings true for hyper-partisans on both ends of the spectrum, and current pull-content media ensure we can forever live in our echo chambers where comforting truths will always be spoken