Super Bowl LI Running Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 05, 2017, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Sir Slash

My new best friend. Dominic, call me. :smiley6600:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Marty Ward

No kidding. He should start a betting service!
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

bayonetbrant

heard today on the radio: since 1991, NFL teams trailing by 25 or more were 4-1,057. That's not a typo.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I thought during the game they said that the greatest deficit overcome in the Super Bowl was 10 points, which had been done a few times previously. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on February 06, 2017, 04:07:43 PM
I thought during the game they said that the greatest deficit overcome in the Super Bowl was 10 points, which had been done a few times previously. 

I think that's correct for a Super Bowl.  The stat above was all games since 1991.

The other fun stat I saw was this:

Tom Brady completed 43 passes.
The Falcons ran 46 plays.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2017, 04:17:31 PM
Quote from: Bison on February 06, 2017, 04:07:43 PM

I think that's correct for a Super Bowl.  The stat above was all games since 1991.

The other fun stat I saw was this:

Tom Brady completed 43 passes.
The Falcons ran 46 plays.

The Pats ran 93 plays. That is unheard of!

Bison

I remember Troy and Buck going on about how the Falcons had only run 33 plays at some point during the start of the 4th quarter.  I didn't really give it much thought other then the thought I had during the game..."the Falcons are going to win this without really being very good offensively outside of the 2nd quarter."

MetalDog

The Falcons offense/play calls, hung their defense out to dry.  The Atlanta D was stellar in the first half and played well for a chunk of the third quarter.  But they were gassed by the time Brady and the Pats got the comeback machine rolling.  And before anyone gets their nose out of joint, I am not taking anything away from how New England came back.  It's certainly not their fault that they had the opportunity to run 93 plays.  Taking advantage of that is what any one of us would do in that situation and congrats to the Patriots for doing it.  What I am saying is, it shouldn't be too hard to beat a defense that spent that much time on the field.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

One of the reasons the defense was on the field that long is that New England made sure to run long clock-sucking drives to keep Matt Ryan on the sidelines.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2017, 08:16:03 PM
One of the reasons the defense was on the field that long is that New England made sure to run long clock-sucking drives to keep Matt Ryan on the sidelines.

Bingo.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

New England had three sacks of Ryan.  All three were on Third Down.  On the second field goal drive (I think), the Falcons had three Defensive Holding/P.I. penalties that allowed New England to keep the drive alive.  All of them were on Third Down as well.  The Falcons gained an average of 6 yards a carry and yet only ran the ball 18 times.  Atalanta did their best to give this game away and New England did everything they should have to take advantage of it.  And congratulations to them for doing so.  It was an epic comeback.  I just would have liked to see a more equitable distribution of plays.  I think the outcome would have been very different.

Bison

That's like saying, if New England wouldn't have turned the ball over twice in the second quarter the score would have been different. 

MetalDog

Maybe my English isn't as good as I think it is.  I'm not taking anything away from the Patriots.  I just would have liked to see Atlanta play better when they had the ball.

Bison

I agree with the fact that outside of a few drives Atlanta's vaunted offense was ineffective.