What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Quote from: steve58 on June 09, 2018, 09:52:58 AM
America's new supercomputer beats China's fastest machine to take title of world's most powerful

The US Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee has taken the wraps off Summit, which boasts peak computing power of 200 petaflops, or 200 million billion calculations a second. That makes it a million times faster than your typical laptop.

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/611385/americas-new-supercomputer-beats-chinas-fastest-machine-to-take-the-worlds-most/

:wow:

Good. Skynet will need this.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Labbug

Not cool and probability nothing will happen for millions of years but it is interesting.

https://www.outerplaces.com/science/item/18651-rising-molten-rock-new-england

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

steve58

Color x-rays.   Not sure why, but just looking at that xray makes me squeamish :-[

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sir Slash

Do we really need to see injury and disease in color? I thought that's why they took pictures so you DIDN'T have to look at the real thing.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 12, 2018, 11:10:03 AM
did we accidentally kill organic matter on Mars?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/07/12/nasa-may-have-discovered-and-then-destroyed-organics-on-mars-in-1976.html

You can't kill what is not alive. Just because something is classified as organic matter does not make it alive. Chlorobenzine is an organic molecule but it is not alive.

Organic molecules make up life, as we know it, but are not themselves alive.

bayonetbrant

yeah, but the headline isn't near as cool if you get all "accurate" about it ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 12, 2018, 11:45:48 AM

Are trying to be the Fox.news of Grogheads?  ;D

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on July 12, 2018, 11:48:36 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 12, 2018, 11:45:48 AM

Are trying to be the Fox.news of Grogheads?  ;D

Breitbart

Windigo

IIRC organic molecules are based on having carbon in them and some other important characteristics that I can't remember and am too lazy to look up....

But hell to the yeah; if FoX and the internet has taught us anything - it's all about the headline.

You wont believe what Gus and his Wife do on the weekends when the kids are gone!

This one simple trick that Brant uses to get laid... everytime!

9 Things Barfheart does to keep his home life great. You have to read number 7!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Barthheart

Number 7 is the best on that list.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

trailrunner

Quote from: Windigo on July 12, 2018, 03:19:04 PM
This one simple trick that Brant uses to get laid... everytime!

Hey baby, wanna come to my place, clip a few counters, and roll a 2d6 on my 88mm TH table?

Sir Slash

That would probably do it for me. But I'm easy.  :dreamer: