Main Menu

Dunkirk

Started by Pinetree, December 14, 2016, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Well worth the admission to see (and hear!) those Spitfire Mk Is flying in tight formation, alone. Filmed on real film, real planes (for most part), really flying, what's there not to like  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on July 20, 2017, 11:44:26 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/movies/dunkirk-review-christopher-nolan.html

That reminds me...

Mild spoiler warning (if you read that review it spoiled it tenfold so not bothering hiding this):

... about the timeline,

- the soldiers are pictured spending a week there, trying to get out,
- the father and son in their boat are depicted as how their one day there and back went, and finally,
- the pilots are there for one hour, as that was all they had gasoline for.

This being a Nolan movie, the timeline then evolves around this, flashbacks and all, bringing all them together to same locations at times, then taking them apart again.

I guess knowing this beforehand would have made it a bit easier to grasp all of it. Although it was sort of said in the film that this is how it goes. I didn't completely get it at the time though  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

The worst 3 out of 4 stars review I've seen so far.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

I have 'We Remember Dunkirk' by Frank Shaw. My copy is signed by the author - 27th May 1990. He signed it for me on the beach at Dunkirk.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Were you both wearing Speedos?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

I might actually get over my utter dislike of other people and go see this.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

When you see the price of popcorn and a soda, it will return.  >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Not a fan of this movie really. Could have been epic.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Seeing a 520pm show in Manhattan this afternoon with my bruhs! Driving to Brooklyn now to meet up with them beforehand.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ComradeP

I'm somewhat worried this will either be a propaganda piece like it was made in the 1960's, or philosophy on the beach with the occasional explosion.

Though I thought both Interstellar and Inception were impressive movies, I still like Memento best out of all Nolan's movies. His style of complicated (some would say: convoluted) storylines with a limited amount of character development can either work or fail. His Batman trilogy being a clear example.

The best books about Dunkirk that I've read don't focus purely on the British perspective, but on the war as a whole and the combined Anglo-French effort to buy enough time for the troops to be evacuated. The tendency to frame it as a British event might be logical considering the myth that was built around the evacuation, but it does not do justice to the historical operation.

Ironically, Churchill's supposed "bras dessus!" when deciding if the BEF, or also as many French forces as possible would be evacuated, has been conveniently ignored by many of his countrymen. Dynamo is in close competition with the battle of Waterloo for how the events of a battle have been distorted by a tunnel vision of sorts on the British contribution. Obviously, this isn't a uniquely British tendency, framing has been going on since mankind told its first stories, I just worry about the movie's frame.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

airboy

Quote from: ComradeP on July 22, 2017, 11:40:14 AM
I'm somewhat worried this will either be a propaganda piece like it was made in the 1960's, or philosophy on the beach with the occasional explosion.

Though I thought both Interstellar and Inception were impressive movies, I still like Memento best out of all Nolan's movies. His style of complicated (some would say: convoluted) storylines with a limited amount of character development can either work or fail. His Batman trilogy being a clear example.

The best books about Dunkirk that I've read don't focus purely on the British perspective, but on the war as a whole and the combined Anglo-French effort to buy enough time for the troops to be evacuated. The tendency to frame it as a British event might be logical considering the myth that was built around the evacuation, but it does not do justice to the historical operation.

Ironically, Churchill's supposed "bras dessus!" when deciding if the BEF, or also as many French forces as possible would be evacuated, has been conveniently ignored by many of his countrymen. Dynamo is in close competition with the battle of Waterloo for how the events of a battle have been distorted by a tunnel vision of sorts on the British contribution. Obviously, this isn't a uniquely British tendency, framing has been going on since mankind told its first stories, I just worry about the movie's frame.

The Wall St. Journal article ripped it.  Who is attacking the British is almost impossible to determine.  Churchill does not make an appearance.  His famous "we will fight speech" only comes from a Tommy reading it from a newspaper.  The director tried to make it about "universal themes" and as a result how it places in history is almost impossible to discern from the film itself.

As posted above, Walter Lord's book on Dunkirk is on sale for $1.99.  It accurately captures the chaos of the military and diplomatic situation at the time.  It also discusses how the British evacuation was prioritized and how the French stood and died to make Dynamo possible.

Tuna

Quote from: airboy on July 22, 2017, 12:21:49 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on July 22, 2017, 11:40:14 AM

The Wall St. Journal article ripped it.  Who is attacking the British is almost impossible to determine.  Churchill does not make an appearance.  His famous "we will fight speech" only comes from a Tommy reading it from a newspaper.  The director tried to make it about "universal themes" and as a result how it places in history is almost impossible to discern from the film itself.

As posted above, Walter Lord's book on Dunkirk is on sale for $1.99.  It accurately captures the chaos of the military and diplomatic situation at the time.  It also discusses how the British evacuation was prioritized and how the French stood and died to make Dynamo possible.

Did the Wall Street Journal not take a basic history class? Do they really not know who is attacking them a Dunkirk?