Main Menu

Dunkirk

Started by Pinetree, December 14, 2016, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I never even thought about Hardy's pilot wearing his oxygen mask the whole time despite the planes flying only feet above sea level.  ???   The movie's done great in so many ways but could have better in so many others. What you take away from the film will depend on whether you focus on the good or the bad parts of it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Watched it tonight in a theatre with DBOX tilty rumble seats.  The effect was very well done, especially with The flying sequences.  The chairs would tilt and tip in sync with the motion of the aircraft on screen.  When one of the Spits ditched, it felt like someone punted me in the spine.  Whenever the movie cut to the ship, the chairs would constantly roll as though we were on waves.  The two Korean women sitting behind me did not care for this at all. 

Decent film but I agree with some of the criticisms about a lack of scale.  Seats definitely added to the enjoyment for me.

bob48

Not sure if I will watch it. It brings back thoughts of my dad who was there. I still think of standing on the beach with him and hundreds of other veterans in 1990 and watching the Lancaster drop poppy petals into the sea. It was very emotive.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 24, 2017, 10:36:22 AM
I never even thought about Hardy's pilot wearing his oxygen mask the whole time despite the planes flying only feet above sea level.  ???   The movie's done great in so many ways but could have better in so many others. What you take away from the film will depend on whether you focus on the good or the bad parts of it.
I thought he was only wearing it when he was at altitude (initially) or in combat? Didn't they need it to communicate, so regardless of altitude, you would have it in place during combat for speech?

I don't know. Spit balling really. I'm going to see it again just now so I'll have a look at when it's on.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Did not know your Dad was there Bawb. Without prying too much, can I ask in what capacity? Army? Navy? Civilian?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Army. He was in 5th Infantry Division and was 19 years old at the time.

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

Wow, Bob.  :o

How awesome that you were able to share that experience with him in 1990!

bob48

I have some photo's somewhere which I'll try and find. It was an awesome experience.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

Definitely sounds like it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

At one point in the movie, Hardy tells his wingmate to go up to 6,000 ft. I don't think that was high enough to need oxygen and I don't know about needing the mask to use the radio-- could be. Somebody here will be along shortly to fill us in on the facts I'm sure. What say you Grogs?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 28, 2017, 11:00:59 AM
At one point in the movie, Hardy tells his wingmate to go up to 6,000 ft. I don't think that was high enough to need oxygen and I don't know about needing the mask to use the radio-- could be. Somebody here will be along shortly to fill us in on the facts I'm sure. What say you Grogs?
He does actually have his mask on even when there's no-one to communicate with. So it wasn't being used for oxygen OR contact.

Still a bloody good film imo
Alba gu' brath

mirth

I think Tom Hardy is contractually obligated to have his face covered 90% of the time for every role he takes with Chris Nolan.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

He needs a new lawyer. Or agent. Or both.

airboy

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2017, 08:16:51 AM
Wow, Bob.  :o

How awesome that you were able to share that experience with him in 1990!
:bd:

bayonetbrant

here's another dick-brain that doesn't really get it...

https://twitter.com/marieclaire/status/890981117037248512
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers