Champions of Krynn - The Next Groggy Adventure Thing

Started by BanzaiCat, October 23, 2016, 05:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

IMPORTANT GEOGRAPHIC FEATURES OF NORTHEAST ANSALON

The territories in the game are those that were overrun by the evil armies during the War of the Lance or were occupied by evil beings before that war.

Throtl was the capitol city ofthe Hobgoblins. Neraka was the special city of Takhisis and her temple was located near it. Sanction was a pre-cataclysmic city that was the base of operations for the Dragon Armies. Kernen was the capitol city of the Ogres.

The mountains near Jelek hold Godshome. While these are now empty ruins, it is rumored that an area sacred to the True Gods exists somewhere in these mountains.

The lands are largely empty, save for a few settlers. The City of Sanction is the only area that has come close to its pre-war level of settlement.

Sir Slash

Did you say you've never played this particular game before? It's a bit different than the Forgotten Realms games. Better check those old, boring instructions before we head-out the door. Just saying.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 26, 2016, 06:48:02 PM
Did you say you've never played this particular game before? It's a bit different than the Forgotten Realms games. Better check those old, boring instructions before we head-out the door. Just saying.

I've played it before. It's been a while, but yes, I've played all three of them. Though, I don't recall if I actually finished Dark Queen of Krynn.

BanzaiCat

Much to my chagrin, apparently Champions of Krynn does not generate character portraits. :(

That kind of derails character interactions in the weird stories I create off the cuff, so I'm going to have to find/Photoshop some possibilities out there.

Suffice it to say, this is the party composition I landed on. I'll figure out character portraits later.

BC
I went with the usual. The leader of the party should probably be a goody two-shoes Lawful Good Knight with a high everything (including Charisma, to clean up everyone else's messes).
LG Human Male Knight of the Crown

mirth
He didn't give me a lot of choices, but that doesn't matter as his choice fit nicely into the fact that I wanted this party to have a second 'pure' fighter.
CG Hill Dwarf Male Fighter

MD
Usually in my DnD Gold Box games, my third character is almost always a Half-Elf Fighter/Mage. MetalDog pretty much nailed this as one of his choices, fortunately.
CG Half Elf Male Fighter/Mage

Sir Slash
I almost made SS the Knight, but it would be weird to playcall from here, and since the Knight isn't me but some even more goofy/caricature-like person, it's okay that I made SS into this. I'm actually doing something a LOT different here than I normally do; I almost always go for a Human Cleric when creating a Cleric, but in this case I figured having a multi-class Fighter-type (Ranger, specifically, as I really wanted a Ranger in this party but couldn't quite figure out how to put one in) complimenting Cleric abilities.
CG Qualinesti Elf Cleric/Ranger (Mishakal; +1 die on all healing spells, gets Charm Person, Remove Curse, and Bless as bonus spells)

airboy
He said he wanted to be a Thief (and his background in training sales people makes him by far the best at this). and SS raised the very true point that a Kender is an absolute must in the party's composition, so...
NG Kender Male Thief

BBMike
He's the magic-user. Simple. But powerful, because I made this character a Human, so they won't have any level restrictions from this point to the end of the third game.
Human Mage

Sir Slash

Got my mace packed and ready to put it upside the head of some Dragon Army Scum.  :knuppel2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

airboy, Sir Slash, MetalDog, BBMike:

List for me a few of your favorite movie/musician/whatever characters. If you cannot think of anyone, tell me that and I'll try to figure it out. This is for your character portraits.

I don't need to ask mirth this question. ;)

Sir Slash, I thought you might want to go with a pug but I leave that choice to you.

BBMike, I recognize the actor in your profile pic but I can't think of his name, nor do I want to assume that would be your pick.

MD, I'd go with Frank Zappa, but again, don't want to assume.

airboy, I have no idea offhand and hope you can give me one or two.

These will be for the convos and such within the game, and if you're familiar with the Pool AAR I started, you already know where I want to go with this.

Thanks!

BanzaiCat

bbmike

That's Carl Kolchak, he has experience with the supernatural! Feel free to use either my avatar picture or this one:

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Jonny Ramone
or
Grimjack

GrimJack works better for this setting.

Sir Slash

BC, A pug would be just fine for my user/portrait but there's also this pic of my "Sir Slash" from Pillars of Eternity. If you're able to use it.

JasonPratt

May I add (while subscribing) that making the cleric an elf introduces an ironic level of ironman into the game?

The guy whom you'll be relying on (mostly) for healing and, later, raising the dead, cannot be raised from the dead.  >:D

Edited to add: and I can see all the gfx fine so far.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 27, 2016, 11:55:33 AM
May I add (while subscribing) that making the cleric an elf introduces an ironic level of ironman into the game?

The guy whom you'll be relying on (mostly) for healing and, later, raising the dead, cannot be raised from the dead.  >:D

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you (even if it is impossible).

airboy

I think my AAR will be remembered as almost as silly as Groghead Adventures - but with cuter photos.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob