Space Hulk Ascension PS4?

Started by Grimnirsson, October 04, 2016, 01:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Hi folks,

I see that Space Hulk Ascension is out for PS4 but I couldn't find even a single review...the PSN store says 1-2 players...so does it have local coop? versus? Any new features compared to the PC version? Rather strange that such a game sneaks into the store and there's NO info available...  ???
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

I can't recall if the PC version really has multiplayer of any kind; I'll try to check that soon, for comparison.

The game itself is an interesting adaptation of the board game to take advantage of some computer capabilities: you can get something like a true fog of map layout, you can track character developments, that kind of thing. It is not at all easy, though maybe a tad easier than the earlier 'pure' adaptation by the same company.

I suspect Games Workshop and/or the devs is releasing this for PS4 quietly simply to pick up some extra cash while topically promoting the coming of Deathwing, which will be a more FPS-oriented Space Hulk adaptation (a little more like Electronic Arts' original genius Space Hulk FPS adaptation back in the days of Doom 1).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

QuoteI suspect Games Workshop and/or the devs is releasing this for PS4 quietly simply to pick up some extra cash while topically promoting the coming of Deathwing

They could certainly make more cash if the would promote it a bit louder...so far the PC review score is ok, so why going stealthy here? I don't get it...

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

Makes me wonder if the port to PS4 (which necessarily uses a quite different system) didn't work out so well. But then why not promote it for the XBone?  ??? Maybe the port is trash on both consoles?!

Releasing prior/themed games like this ahead of a big title, can be a double-edged sword, though. On one hand, marketing/promotions. On the other hand, what if people get their fill of Space Hulking this way and/or decide they don't like the concept, and/or mistakenly think the Deathwing game will play just like this and they hate this gameplay? Sales could easily drop for the big title, and so the promotional tactic backfires.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

There are not even user reviews on metacritics...I saw one guy playing it on Twitch today and what I saw looked good. Other than that there's only the press release to be found on the web, beyond that...silence, no review, no gameplay recordings on youtube, nothing...very strange. The PC version apparently lost the multiplayer from the first game, for whatever reason and so I wonder if the mentioning of "1 - 2 players" in the PS store means they brought it back in for the console version. If not...it would be a flat out lie...as I said, very strange situation.

www.homefrontcenter.de