Opening certain threads on Grogheads trigger a .swf file download??

Started by Yskonyn, July 26, 2016, 02:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 24, 2016, 07:45:59 PM
The weirdness I get is that none of the photo links Brant posts ever show up on my PC or my tablet.   I assume it's because he's always got the s at the end of https.

I wonder if it's b/c a lot of them are coming out of Facebook
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Shouldn't be an issue.  I have FB on my desktop and can see other images taken from there.  FB is blocked at work so it would make sense that I can't see them over my lunch break, etc.

Freyland

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 24, 2016, 08:08:57 AM
I have the latest version of Flash but I still get the .swf downloads. The odd thing is that I don't get it with all the videos posted here, and in some cased I get the download with a resulting big empty spot in the forum post that contained it and others I can still see the YT window ready to play.  ???

Jumping in to say this describes me to a "t", except it is on my Android phone (since phone and not PC, only a lower case "t'" O:-)).  Any progress on this topic?

Staggerwing

This issue still vexes my browsing with almost every other YT vid linked here.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

Since I got my new PC I am getting the pop-ups, too. Like this one:

I dropped many of the Firefox add-ons and other programs I had previously but I am still using No-Script.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

OK - so I think I've found the condition here, and been playing with it some overnight

note the embed instructions from the users guide sub-forum

See where it's telling you to pull the link from?
Notice that it's not the URL from the address bar?

compare these two URLs:

followed YT embed instructions
https://youtu.be/ScuwBnXgCv8    <----- embed works fine, no SWF download

didn't follow YT embed instructions, grabbed link from address bar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScuwBnXgCv8   <----- embed doesn't work, triggers SWF download b/c YouTube parser won't display it

I also experimented with "https" vs "http" and there appears to be no difference either way

I've tested this on a Mac, a Win7 machine, my Android phone, my Kindle Fire tablet, and an iPad mini and it seems to work the same in each case

I don't know if this closes the case, but it seems to be pretty solid toward fixing the problem

Staggerwing

That makes sense. I'll start checking which Urls trigger the download on my rig and which don't to see if the pattern holds.

Badly formatted YT url from Brant's post =

BOING! (even leaves a big space above it where the YT player window should be)

Looks like that's the ticket!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 17, 2017, 09:34:16 PM
That makes sense. I'll start checking which Urls trigger the download on my rig and which don't to see if the pattern holds.

It looks like I used a few bad url in the past but I never noticed it as everything worked for me.  When I click the badly formatted Youtube link in your post the video plays without issues ...  (using windows 7 with firefox).

Greybriar

After Staggerwing's most recent post, I began getting a popup.

After Pete quoted Staggerwing in his post I began getting TWO (2) popups.

That ought to tell us something.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Greybriar on January 18, 2017, 07:41:36 AM
After Staggerwing's most recent post, I began getting a popup.

After Pete quoted Staggerwing in his post I began getting TWO (2) popups.

That ought to tell us something.

Edited my post to remove the link.  Should eliminate one popup.

Greybriar

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 18, 2017, 08:01:26 AM
Edited my post to remove the link.  Should eliminate one popup.

You're right. I'm only getting one popup on that page now.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 17, 2017, 09:34:16 PM

That explains a lot of the big blank links I get

Greybriar

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Greybriar on January 21, 2017, 09:52:23 AM
I got six popups when I opened this thread.

that's because all of those "Let's Play" videos that Grim Reaper posted are all using the wrong link URL, as noted above.