Kong: Skull Island

Started by mirth, July 23, 2016, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

I'm tired of this MF Gorilla on this MF island. Is that Loki being a Good Guy? Boring.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Reboot for the Godzillaverse ahoy!

...so, will Pacific Rim get rebooted too? Seems like the only way forward.  ^-^

Notably, Kong has to be much larger now (I've seen information suggesting 100 feet, or about 1/3 of G's current height).

Also notably, the 70s setting. Meaning Kong will be getting even bigger between then and the 2020 GvsKong film...? Looking forward to any nods to the 70s remake. Edited to add: on reflection, the choice to make Kong look more like a Bigfoot (much more humanoid in shape and movement) not only makes sense for eventually bringing him better into the Gverse, but also hearkens back to the 70s film and Rick Baker's pretty amazing suit.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Second trailer dropped yesterday:

That version tacks on the 1st trailer afterward for convenient comparison (the same 1st trailer as in the OP).

This movie looks like a lot of fun.  O0 :smitten: Very Marvel-esque.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2016, 09:17:38 AM
This movie looks like a lot of fun.  O0 :smitten:

It does look like campy fun. Reminded me a lot of Pacific Rim.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

He shouldn't be hard to track. Just follow the Winnebago-sized piles of Kong-Pooh.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on November 17, 2016, 12:37:23 PM

There we go, yep. It's the tone that G2014 should have had if they were going to go for the Showa-era "grumpy protector of the Earth" route, instead of faking us out with the apparent grimdark horror of Godzilla.

But then, there's evidence of the script having gone through a megaton of changes before, and possibly during, production. For one thing, G2014's original height was going to be twice as tall, over SIX HUNDRED FEET (tall, and longer than that of course), in fairly late pre-production scripts. That's why his scale seems so wonky on some of the more obscure shots -- and that poster of him looming over SanFran would have been a lot closer to scale.

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2016, 08:29:11 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 17, 2016, 12:37:23 PM

There we go, yep. It's the tone that G2014 should have had if they were going to go for the Showa-era "grumpy protector of the Earth" route, instead of faking us out with the apparent grimdark horror of Godzilla.

It would have helped too if Bryan Cranston hadn't been killed off in the first 20 minutes.

JasonPratt

Very much so. Although given the logistics of the plot they ended up with, I can understand why: his character couldn't really contribute more from that point.

(I mean, he could have worked with a different plot; but not really with the one they ended up with.)

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2016, 08:34:16 PM
Very much so. Although given the logistics of the plot they ended up with, I can understand why: his character couldn't really contribute more from that point.

(I mean, he could have worked with a different plot; but not really with the one they ended up with.)

He could have fought Godzilla hand-to-hand. Would have made for a better movie than they gave us.

JasonPratt

Also, I fully expect PacRim2, which I think I've seen confirmed somewhere, will and should be a reboot taking the situation of that movie's prologue and introducing it into the G-verse: alien Cthulhuesque things open a portal to invade, humanity has already started working on the Jaegers to stand against the more hostile kaiju (and maybe against the less hostile ones, too), lots of great plot opportunities to develop and bring in classic Toho kaiju along with PacRim kaiju and Jags.

Who knows -- maybe one of the first Jaegers this time will be named Jet Jaeguar.  :D :smitten:

mirth

So they can bring back Idris Elba? I'm all for that.

JasonPratt

I hadn't even thought of that, but I approve!  O0

MetalDog

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 17, 2016, 08:38:57 PM
Also, I fully expect PacRim2, which I think I've seen confirmed somewhere, will and should be a reboot taking the situation of that movie's prologue and introducing it into the G-verse: alien Cthulhuesque things open a portal to invade, humanity has already started working on the Jaegers to stand against the more hostile kaiju (and maybe against the less hostile ones, too), lots of great plot opportunities to develop and bring in classic Toho kaiju along with PacRim kaiju and Jags.

Who knows -- maybe one of the first Jaegers this time will be named Jet Jaeguar.  :D :smitten:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2557478/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The link doesn't confirm much beyond release date and cast, but, there are three names missing that will make this less fun for me:

1) Charlie Hunnam

2) Charlie Day

3) Idris Elba

Ron Perlman will be back though.  And he's a pretty solid pick.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on November 19, 2016, 11:59:52 AM

Ron Perlman will be back though.  And he's a pretty solid pick.

I hope you guys all sat through the Pacific Rim credits...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys