Main Menu

VR?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

I'm waiting for Quark to open his Holosuites  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MikeGER

Quote from: jomni on April 05, 2016, 05:15:43 PM
How can I see my hands pressing the keyboard or manipulating the aircraft knobs and buttons when my whole vision is obscured?  I guess I have to be a touch typist.

there will be gloves on day when you hit a hard object in virtual reality the fingertip in the glove will give a tactile feedback

Personally i have the nerdy interest but not the funds to be an early adaptor this time around.
I will wait until it become more mainstream, and the follow up generation equipment can be tested in the local bigger consumer electronics stores, and the bugs are gone and price has dropped also.

I can imagine wargames even strategy  transported  into the VR world immersion wize ....  O0

...it was a rainy night, in a rolling landscape with fields,  you just had passed a battered road sign reading Charleroi, you dismount your white horse and walk into a command tend. It seems about to be in June 1815 and find out you are a little shorter then the officers greating your there. And when you look down your body you discover your right hand is somehow automatically stored in your vest on the belly when not activly used and your vision up is blocked by seems to be a bicorne hats rim ? ... Oh shit, its an Napoleon avatar and your up to direct the battle of Waterloo from his point of view and only his C&C means. you say 'God mode - enabled'  you leave the body and now seems to be in a woodpigeon avatar and the time some how is decelerated ... sailing high above the landscape seeing the campfires around and some French gnarling Grognards maintaining their musket Modèle 1777...   you say 'Stop native language' now the cursing is suddenly understandable...  you fly north to see what Wellington will be up to - this time around! When you about to reach his lines, a hungry soldier from the 95th Rifles takes a potshot at you with his Baker Rifle ...Oh No! , i hate those incoporated mini games.... its a rainy night, in a rolling landscape again      ^-^

Rayfer

A negative piece from Rock/Paper/Shotgun regarding the new VR units. Quite scathing.  https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/06/htc-vive-vr-problems/#more-358255

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

TacticalWargames

FLight sims would be cool..but then how do you see your keyboard etc?

WYBaugh

I'm going to old man it here and say I'm pissed due to the dump of all of the games on Steam.  They really need a 'I don't want to see X type of game' filter.

Also I'm blind in my left eye so I can't do 3D glasses or VR so quit polluting my 2D playground!

This reminds me of when they started dumping romantic fantasy (ala Twilight) into my manly fantasy books on Amazon.

Raied

To be honest I had a bit of interested in it a year ago, but after watching the new promo video of VR on steam, I felt like uh meh, that looks like another gimmick similar to  kinect and other shake your booty devices.

Staggerwing

I'm quite interested but I too think that if I'm going to drop just under a grand on the gear and a new sooper dooper gfx card to drive it I feel I should wait it out one more dev cycle.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

...I still struggle with 2D...............
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Two words: Virtual Boy.

I can't help but think this latest craze will hit the market and gamers will utter a collective 'meh' in reaction.

bboyer66

Being a semi pro  Iracer. If it is ever implemented for the game, I will definitely be getting one. Lots of racers drive with a 3 monitor setup, which lets them see more to their left and right. Currently I just use the spotter function in the game, because I dont feel like buying 2 more g-sync monitors.  But having the ability to just move my head to see who is to the side of me would be of great benefit, not to mention the feeling of speed you would get driving in a VR environment.

ArizonaTank

I'm in... just waiting for the technology and software to settle a bit.  Then will need to upgrade my computer.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 10, 2016, 02:04:04 PM
I'm in... just waiting for the technology and software to settle a bit.  Then will need to upgrade my computer.

Also, waiting to see which one of these systems 'wins' the battle. I'd rather not get stuck with the Betamax or HD-DVD of the VR tech wars, thanks.  ;)

Father Ted

Quote from: bboyer66 on April 07, 2016, 07:13:43 AM
Being a semi pro  Iracer. If it is ever implemented for the game, I will definitely be getting one. Lots of racers drive with a 3 monitor setup, which lets them see more to their left and right. Currently I just use the spotter function in the game, because I dont feel like buying 2 more g-sync monitors.  But having the ability to just move my head to see who is to the side of me would be of great benefit, not to mention the feeling of speed you would get driving in a VR environment.

You can use TrackIR in Iracing as far as I can tell - that would get you the ability to look around.  Though expensive, it's cheaper than two decent monitors.

Elvis

Not really what's being discussed here but.......

For Xmas Dr. Elvis gave me something called Google Cardboard. I think they're going for about $10 on the Amazons. Your smartphone goes in it and it kind of looks like a View Master (I know plenty of you are old enough to remember those) and there are a lot of free VR apps. They're nothing fancy but are kind of fun. And for the price..... a nice novelty thing to have around.