Main Menu

VR?

Started by Jarhead0331, April 05, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Anybody plan on getting in on this VR craze? It seems neat, albeit, somewhat gimmickey. It sort of reminds me of when the wii and Microsoft Kinect came out. It was all the rage, but it never really interested me as a serious game platform.

There are dozens of VR only games flooding steam now, and while some of them seem neat (check out CDF star fighter) they seem more like tech demos than fully fleshed out games. Just seems like it's a rush out of the gate to cash in.

What are everyone's thoughts on this new technology? Is the newest and greatest thing in gaming, or is it going to go the way of 8 track, more or less, being passed over for something else in the near future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

I think it has potential for flight sim uses but in general I have no interest as there is no use for something like this in strategy gaming
Insert witty comment here.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Wish I could but it's wasted on me.  I've got very bad amblyopia so I don't get any of the 3D effect. A co-worker has had the SDK kit for the rift for quite a while so I had a chance to try it out.  The physicality of it can be neat at times (but also a hinderance) but on balance, I'm happier with my TrackIR.

I do have to say that Alien: Isolation was very atmospheric with the Rift.  It got my heart racing and I'm not normally affected by horror games. Ci imagine that it's be quite the experience for those who can see it in 3D.

sandman2575

Have to say the appeal of gaming with an unwieldy contraption strapped to my head that completely cuts me off from my real surroundings utterly escapes me...

steve58

Like SDR, vision issues would make it money down the drain for me, plus I also don't want to end up with the dreaded Rift Rash.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

I suspect it would make me sick, so likely won't consider any time soon....

vyshka

I imagine I will try something eventually, but what one thing I think I would enjoy more will be the augmented reality stuff like the HoloLens from Microsoft, or the rig from CastAR (Technical Illusions).

Rayfer

No way. I can't even stand wearing those special glasses for 3D movies in the theater, no less VR headgear.

RedArgo

Like Jamus34 said, I could see how this could be great for simulators, and in addition to flight, games like WoT or Naval Action or any FPS or maybe even sports games like Madden.  I'm not creative enough to see how it would be good for typical strategy games though.

The price is going to have to drop dramatically though, which I'm sure it will eventually and it would be good if the computer specs weren't so high.

I'd like to try it though, although I get motion sickness easily now, so it might not turn out well.

JudgeDredd

I might do one day - but not at the current cost.

I'd be looking at the £200-£300 mark. Anything more than that, and I'd rather spend the money on a proper upgrade for the computer.

I'd also wait until there's serious gaming for it. Currently, I only know of one game that I'm interested in that supports it (DCS) and even then I'm not sure of the support level. I think pCars may have some support - not sure.

But ultimately price and support will determine when I get one if I get one.
Alba gu' brath

jamus34

Yeah if the tech is good enough and they model the cars meticulously a vr driving game could be awesome...a lot if ifs in there though.
One thing that might sell me on it is if they can pull off a mechwarrior in vr.
Insert witty comment here.

DoctorQuest

I would need to see a demo with some of my favorite games before I'd drop any money on the tech. It LOOKS heavy and uncomfortable from what I've seen.

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

-budd-

I'll wait a couple of tech generations, but hell yes ill give it a whirl for fps games. Provided the entry cost isn't to high.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

undercovergeek

There's a whole community on the elite forums describing how utterly awesome it is, and I can imagine that's the case - having the environment 360 would be very immersive - watching a ship approach, pass and continue behind me, or the docking experience would be sensational - but - I don't feel the love personally, and the vast majority of games I play it would be wasted on

jomni

How can I see my hands pressing the keyboard or manipulating the aircraft knobs and buttons when my whole vision is obscured?  I guess I have to be a touch typist.
How can I look at my flight dispatch and the paper charts that I have on hand?  These are essential stuff in my flight simming.

It works when the game is fully HOTAS.