Tabletop Simulator - Grogheads Gaming Club

Started by Bison, December 28, 2015, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

OK.  I'm going be picking up a copy (maybe the 4 pack to distribute out to a couple of needy gross).  I'm pretty excited to try out the Star Wars LCG with SDR.  If the simulator works well, I'd like to put together a grogheads game night either Friday or Saturday.  A quick perusal of the available games on the workshop showed modules for X-Wing, GMT's Churchill, and several other games that could provide some good entertainment.

Steam is nice because it has the built in voice chat with friends that works really well and can do group conversations.

Anyone up for trying to get a grogheads gaming club going using Tabletop Simulator?  Or are there too many issues with the simulator to make it not a worthwhile endeavor?

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm in.

I've fiddled around with X-Wing and Armada a bit but I found the interface a little too finicky for miniatures placement.  I ended up knocking over pieces while trying to line up the maneuver tool quite often.

The game works fantastically for Puerto Rico and Betrayal at the House on the Hill though.

JasonPratt

I think it's a good idea, and a good buy (especially while on sale). Not at all sure I'll be where I can do things on any given night, but I've got a copy just in case. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

I've got a copy as well but I don't think I have any of the games that have been converted to Tabletop Sim modules yet. I need to fine a searchable master list of all the modules.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just click the workshop tab for TTS in your steam library.

Jarhead0331

Great idea. I'm in.

Never had much interest in this title until I saw this thread. Heck, I didn't even really know what TTS was, what it did or how it worked. Very cool!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

A Texas hold 'em night could provide some fun too.  I saw command and colors ancients and Napoleon which is awesome.  The YouTube videos were cool but it looks like everyone will need to invest a little time learning to move pieces and flip cards without knocking pieces around the board.

Grim.Reaper

Hhhmmmm....Texas holdem....might be tempted myself

Silent Disapproval Robot

Inadvertent card flipping and knocking stuff over is pretty much a given.  I've tried to move my cards to the hidden area and missed quite a few times.

There's also a table flip button for when you want to rage quit.  I've learned the hard way that whoever is hosting needs to either disable it or password protect the game or risk having some asshat do a drive-by table flip on you.

Bardolph

The amount of reviews and Youtube videos that made a big deal of table flipping when this came out are a great part of why I didn't buy it then. What a weird thing to waste time programming, and even promoting, when they could have been working on useful features. That said, thanks in part to this thread, and the sale I just picked up a copy. Will see what I can come up with.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Solitaire, yes.

::)

Also any game modules created by fans which sim solitaire games. If someone has scanned in the cards for the Space Hulk card game, for example, you could play that solitaire. (Although presumably it would help if some coding were also done for setting up how various decks should be shuffled.)

As to whether various multi-games can be played against an AI, I'd be surprised if that's true.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

Silent Disapproval Robot

No AI and no rules provided.  They just provide the playing pieces for the game so someone in the group needs to know the rules and it sometimes helps to have a physical copy of the game on hand for reference as well.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2015, 07:58:57 PM
Can you play anything solitaire?

There have been some modules created for co-operative tabletop games in TTS.  The game rules provide an opponent for you.  So, yes, some solitaire stuff available.   :)  Up-to-date board game rules are available in pdf format from the publishers.

I recall a couple popular ones such as Darkest Night, Zombicide, Arkham Horror, and Eldritch Horror having modules, for example.   

I often wonder how buggy or incomplete some of the user-created game modules are, however.  Some get updated to fix issues, but it varies.

As for a GH game night, I'd be interested in some of them.   Even if we had to use something like Vassal due to module availability or pieces being too fidgety in TTS.

I always thought something like Chaos In The Old World could be pretty good multi-player in TTS.  Not a huge amount of pieces & cards on the board for an area control strategy game IIRC and doesn't take all night long ... plus it's Warhammer.   Plenty to choose from as long as their modules work well enough.  Betrayal at the House on the Hill also sounds gtg.