Main Menu

The Strain

Started by mirth, July 12, 2015, 12:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I forget if we have a thread going for this show already (pretty sure we do but I couldn't find it with the forum search). Season 2 starts tonight. It's an entertaining summer diversion, if you don't take it too seriously.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

RooksBailey

I am looking forward to it.  I think it is the best vampire show to come along in a long time! 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro

I didn't realize the second season was starting tonight until I saw some very brief commercial for it yesterday.

Fortunately the DVR was still set to record it from last year.   O0

The first couple episodes from the first season were pretty raw.  I recall the acting being rather bad in parts of those early episodes.  But then it really picked up.  Many series are like that when they first begin, so I try to give them all at least three episodes, if I like the premise, before judging and this one turned out quite good.

mirth

It's not great television, but it's fun and distracting for the summer. And there are some interesting moments.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on July 12, 2015, 06:15:04 PM
It's not great television, but it's fun and distracting for the summer. And there are some interesting moments.

Bingo.  I thought that season #1 production & continuity were almost amateurish at times (I remember once scene started in winter, and ended in summer), but the overall story was captivating.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

First ep of the new season was quite good. Some very disturbing moments. I like how they aren't afraid to depart from the novels (which were also quite good).

mirth

Centurion40

mirth

It was the most frightening thing on that show.

Nefaro

I would prefer his character's son disappeared for good.  Eph too, for that matter. 

Just don't like those characters.  Which sucks because the rest of the series is good.

mirth

I can deal with Eph, but the kid who's playing the son this year is even more annoying than the kid from last year.

mirth

The whole father/son theme was annoying in the book and it's worse in the show.

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2015, 01:15:12 PM
The whole father/son theme was annoying in the book and it's worse in the show.

Amen!

I hope that the mom eats the kid.

mirth

Do not wake up at 4am, watch this show and then go back to sleep. Makes for some very bizarre dreams.

mirth

It's amazing that this show can be stupidly lame and watchable at the same time.