Oriental Empires -- 4x historical strategy

Started by Martok, April 16, 2015, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Ooookay. Looks like a pretty interesting title. I will monitor this one.

Silent Disapproval Robot

No tactical control?  My interest just went to zero.

Gusington

Mine went up. It sounds like Civ battles just on an uber mega scale.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Count me in with this one. It looks fantastic. RT Smith is a veteran designer. I doubt this will let anyone down. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2015, 01:38:56 PM
Mine went up. It sounds like Civ battles just on an uber mega scale.

you had me at 'militia dagger axeman'

Nefaro

Interface looks like it belongs in a Space 4X.

OJsDad

Combat sounds like what Civ should have been doing three releases ago.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jomni

Quote from: Martok on April 17, 2015, 11:01:53 AM
Just a heads-up:  The battles are *not* manually-controlled.  Here's what Smith (the lead developer) had to say about the game's combat system on Explorminate's forums: 

Quote from: NeutronHello everyone
Thanks for your interest in the game, I'm one of the developers, and I'd like to explain a bit more about the battle system.

All the battles take place in real time right on the campaign map. You don't directly control them, but instead set up your formations and give basic orders during your turn, then at the end of the turn the computer moves all the troops and fights battles where forces collide. The battles take 1 - 2 minutes of real time to resolve, but you can fast forward too. This system has a number of advantages

• All the visual excitement of a big TW style battle, without all the tedious clicking and loading screens.
  • Puts the emphasis on force composition, position and tactics
  • Makes the game play faster,
  • No need to choose whether to fight a boring one sided battle, or take unnecessary losses in auto-resolve.
  • Battles work the same way for single and mutliplayer

Personally, I'm just fine with this, as I've never been a big fan of Armada's combat model, and it's on the strategic side of the game where Smith's design abilities really shine anyway.  But I wanted to mention it for those who like to fight their battles manually. 

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2015, 07:43:18 AM
I won't be able to resist early accessing this one.
Same here, man.  I'll be grabbing this one the first day it's available.  O:-)

A game that focuses more on pre-planning than micromanagement is welcome.

Gusington

^That should be the tagline for the game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm actually ok with no control over tactical battles.  I've often thought that CK2 would totally rock with a bit more fidelity to the combats that take place.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

An interview with Bob Smith: 

http://www.matchstickeyes.com/2015/06/15/oriental-empires-qa-with-bob-smith/

Some cool/interesting tidbits in there.  Sounds like there will randomly-generated campaign maps in addition to the historical maps, so good for replayability.  O0 

My favorite bit was probably this, though: 
6. Besides the setting, what other innovations do you plan to bring to the strategy genre?

The two largest features are the battles as mentioned above, and the ability to seamlessly zoom from a strategic overview, to a really close up view where you can see your peasants toiling in the fields, or watch your soldiers fighting in combat. The ability to step right into the game world in this way really adds a huge extra level of immersion that might not be apparent until you try it.

There are some other features that are interesting too. There are no recruitment queues for armies; instead a realistic model is used whereby you can muster as many men as you have available. The game also models two of the main driving conflicts of Chinese society, that between the peasants and the nobles, and that between the farmers and the nomads. So the unrest level of peasants and nobles is tracked separately, and decisions you make that will please one group may annoy the other. Similarly food production is handled differently for farmers, and nomads who depend on their animals, giving them different development dynamics.
Now for someone like me who values immersion in his games so much, that seamless zoom sounds like something I'll use quite a bit.  :smitten:  Trying to maintain a balance between the nobles & peasants, and the farmers & nomads also sounds intriguing. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: jomni on April 17, 2015, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: Martok on April 17, 2015, 11:01:53 AM
Just a heads-up:  The battles are *not* manually-controlled.  Here's what Smith (the lead developer) had to say about the game's combat system on Explorminate's forums: 

Quote from: NeutronHello everyone
Thanks for your interest in the game, I'm one of the developers, and I'd like to explain a bit more about the battle system.

All the battles take place in real time right on the campaign map. You don't directly control them, but instead set up your formations and give basic orders during your turn, then at the end of the turn the computer moves all the troops and fights battles where forces collide. The battles take 1 - 2 minutes of real time to resolve, but you can fast forward too. This system has a number of advantages

• All the visual excitement of a big TW style battle, without all the tedious clicking and loading screens.
  • Puts the emphasis on force composition, position and tactics
  • Makes the game play faster,
  • No need to choose whether to fight a boring one sided battle, or take unnecessary losses in auto-resolve.
  • Battles work the same way for single and mutliplayer

Personally, I'm just fine with this, as I've never been a big fan of Armada's combat model, and it's on the strategic side of the game where Smith's design abilities really shine anyway.  But I wanted to mention it for those who like to fight their battles manually. 

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2015, 07:43:18 AM
I won't be able to resist early accessing this one.
Same here, man.  I'll be grabbing this one the first day it's available.  O:-)

A game that focuses more on pre-planning than micromanagement is welcome.

More than welcome.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Anguille

Martok

I keep forgetting to post this, but Explorminate did an interview in a podcast with Smith regarding the game.  His speaking style is very dry (which I'd previously noticed in old interviews for Armada 2526), but he does divulge some additional details. 

Unfortunately, he was also noncommittal (when asked) about making Armada 2527.  :(  Poop. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Thanks for posting Martok. Can't wait for this to come out!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd