Oriental Empires -- 4x historical strategy

Started by Martok, April 16, 2015, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Have had this on my Steam wish list for a while now. Watched some gameplay videos on YouTube and liked what I saw.

Boggit

Quote from: Rayfer on September 08, 2017, 07:03:38 AM
Have had this on my Steam wish list for a while now. Watched some gameplay videos on YouTube and liked what I saw.
Surtur emailed me the other day mentioning that a new scenario for Oriental Empires is in the works. I've asked him to look in to Grogheads and tell us more.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

New, meaning in addition to the grand campaign about to drop?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on September 09, 2017, 06:40:47 PM
I'm guessing so. I thought the Grand Campaign was already out. I know multiplayer was a new thing, but I don't think it relates to that. He just mentioned that they are working on a new scenario for the game, and I invited him to visit the forum with some more info, which should be interesting.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2017, 08:25:18 PM
I'm guessing so. I thought the Grand Campaign was already out. I know multiplayer was a new thing, but I don't think it relates to that. He just mentioned that they are working on a new scenario for the game, and I invited him to visit the forum with some more info, which should be interesting.

Maybe different start date / era.  The blurb says until 1500.  But the current game hardly represents that era.

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on September 09, 2017, 08:32:41 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 09, 2017, 08:25:18 PM

Maybe different start date / era.  The blurb says until 1500.  But the current game hardly represents that era.
You might be onto something there.

Surtur

Hi all,

Thanks Boggit!

The new scenario is like the grand campaign, but with a later starting date (Warring States Era), this scenario will allow you to start on a map that is already prepopulated, compared to the empty map start of the grand campaign. The factions are set based on their historical locations and relations and you will have unlocked most starting techs. This will make for quite a different gaming experience.

Some screenshots of the starting positions (these were still WIP):

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

The game has just released from early access and will be on sale for the next few days.

From what I've seen of it, I'm probably going to like the Warring States scenario better than the Grand Campaign.  My only criticism so far is that if you receive a diplomatic message from someone asking you to attack someone else, you have no way of knowing who either of them are if you're at the beginning of a game.  I thought they were looking into adding some kind of map consult feature in the diplomacy phase, but for now you should take a lot of notes on your first turn about who your neighbors are, because otherwise the diplomatic messages you receive won't make any sense.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but this game cries out for a Grogheads Steam game.  Anyone feel like organizing it?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Gusington

No - but I do agree with you that this new campaign looks better than the original open ended one.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Surtur

Quote from: Philippe on September 14, 2017, 08:32:34 AM
The game has just released from early access and will be on sale for the next few days.

From what I've seen of it, I'm probably going to like the Warring States scenario better than the Grand Campaign.  My only criticism so far is that if you receive a diplomatic message from someone asking you to attack someone else, you have no way of knowing who either of them are if you're at the beginning of a game.  I thought they were looking into adding some kind of map consult feature in the diplomacy phase, but for now you should take a lot of notes on your first turn about who your neighbors are, because otherwise the diplomatic messages you receive won't make any sense.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but this game cries out for a Grogheads Steam game.  Anyone feel like organizing it?

With the latest update, you have the option to dismiss request until your own turn, so you can examine the map before you decide :)

Anguille

It took some time but the first! DLC for Oriental Empires is coming out this month!

GENGIS! Storybased campaign  :bd:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/919720/Oriental_Empires_Genghis/

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Surtur

Steelgrave

The base game is on sale for $10.20 on Steam right now!