Main Menu

Bloodborne

Started by W8taminute, March 26, 2015, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Hello fellow grogheads.  All of you Dark Souls fans should get Fromsofts latest game, Bloodborne.  I know these games do not appeal to a lot of us here but for those of you who do enjoy this game I beg you to get it.  Bloodborne has the potential to be the next masterpiece from Fromsoft.

Here is a quick intro video by a gentlemen who has an eloquent way of explaining these games.   O0

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Yskonyn

It's definately on my list! But time to play is rather limited at the moment...
The Dark Souls 2 remaster for PS4 is coming soon as well. :)  Good times. These games are one of the most special gameplay experiences I had, ever.  :smitten:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

W8taminute

Good times indeed!   O0

I noticed that they've remastered Dark Souls 2 for the PS4.  I'm tempted to get it but I have Bloodborne and Bladestorm right now to keep me busy and then in a few weeks I'm getting Mortal Kombat.  It's a great time to be a gamer.  Now to find the time.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Bloodborne in the same style as Dark Souls...i.e., brutally difficult?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^Difficult but not as brutal as the Dark Souls series.  A veteran will walk in the park with this game and a new comer to the series will definitely experience difficulty at first but not the kind that takes the wind out of your sails like the Dark Souls series. 

My honest opinion towards someone who has never played any of these games but is interested in an RPG in a Victorian setting is of a guarded optimism.  While not as tough as the Dark Souls games Bloodborne is still hard and the various areas to explore are long and drawn out.  You must be both patient and committed to play this game if you want to get any enjoyment out of it.  The story and the setting are very appealing but don't expect all of the answers to the story questions to be handed to you via NPC dialogue.  You must be astute enough to figure things out by observation as well.

Now that I've played the game for a while here's my opinion for anyone who's familiar with these games.  Bloodborne is not as tough as the Dark Souls games but the way you fight enemies is definitely not the same as you did before.  You've got a limited set of weapons to play with (compared to the variety of Dark Souls) but creating the perfect hunter build based on your play style is still a joy to do.  You don't fight with shields in this game.  Speed and agility are key and while we're on the topic the character does indeed seem faster and more agile than the character from Dark Souls.  My guess is that he's not weighed down by tons of armor.  I think there is enough new concepts in this game to be a worthy collection to your From Software library. 

Gusington

Honestly that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Can you give a little more detail on the setting and story without spoilers? I've read some leaks online here that say a PC version is coming.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Sure I can tell you a little bit of the story.  You are this outsider who drifts into the city of Yarnham.  Somehow, and the game doesn't really say how, you end up in need of serious medical attention and end up in a clinic.  Only the doctor there seems to believe that you are special and decides to transform you into a 'hunter' by giving you a blood transfusion with special powers.  Yarnham is plagued by a bloodborn disease that changes men into beasts who terrorize the locals.  Hunters are created in an effort to eradicate the plague by literally killing every human affected beast.  Right from the start of the game you feel sorry for your character because he was duped into becoming a killing machine. 

That's the introduction to the story.  As you explore and meet NPCs and defeat the first boss you learn more about just what the hell is happening in this God forsaken city and it's not pretty.  Story wise Bloodborne is a little more approachable and easier to relate to for the new player than the Dark Souls series. 

Here is a link to my video showing some of the game play if you're interested.

Gusington

Interesting. Thanks for the above, checking it out now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Finished the game the other day.  I really liked this entry in the SoulsBorne series.  Looking forward to Dark Souls III.   O0

awdougherty

Curious if other people ended up jumping on this train.  I never officially beat Bloodborne, just started the DLC for it a little while ago.    I think I prefer the more deliberate pace of the Souls games, shield up, pulling back a bit to reassess when I take a hit.  I got used to the faster, more aggressive style of Bloodborne after a few hours, but it definitely throws me when I go back and forth between Bloodborne and a Souls game.

Beyond that, I found aspects of Bloodborne simply stunning.  I personally loved the setting, the unabashed Lovecraftian story and backdrop, the ease of joining with friends in multiplayer, and the idea of the Chalice Dungeons.  If there was a way to make it so my co-op group didn't have to do every Chalice Dungeon three times together to progress, it would have been great.  The limited play styles was a little disappointing as well, but there was a lot to like in Bloodborne.  Although, if I'm honest, my anticipation of Dark Souls 3 dwarfs my interest in Bloodborne at the moment.

Gusington

I'm still waiting for a PC version :(

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Hiimori

I also started with Bloodborne last week. So far, I defeated the first boss and failed to defeat the second one. Here are my first impressions:

There are many elements from Dark Souls, so a DS player will understand the game concept immediately. A new player, who never played a DS game before, could be overwhelmed by the question of what to do and where to go - and why dying and respawning and backtracking is part of the basic gameplay.

In my opinion, DS is more complex - more weapons, crafting, magic, stats, items, equipment, so Bloodborne is the "light version". It's not easier, though. The combat mechanics are significantly different from combat in DS (you don't have a shield, you cannot block, you have to rush in when you are wounded in order to recover health). On the other hand, you are showered with healing potions, in contrast to the painful process of filling your Estus flasks, so healing isn't a big deal. You also have a shooting weapon in your left hand, but it isn't really a ranged weapon (so far, there are no ranged weapons, like bows), but they are used to stun enemies. Again, it's all about melee and close combat.

I don't have a problem with this playing style because I also prefer a fast, light build in DS, with a huge focus on rolling and evading, and I never relied on a shield much (but I liked my bow with poison arrows, so I'm really missing this aspect in Bloodborne). But players who are accustomed to a heavy build with blocking and heavy armor will have to adjust to the fast gameplay which requires constant rushing and offensive.

In addition, the enemies are more mobile, they patrol the map in a larger radius and walk around in mobs, sometimes in a group of 10 at a time. So stealth and avoiding them is also a new element which wasn't required in DS (where you kill them all in your farming routine). Leveling up, doing your farming runs, losing your souls (or blood echoes) when you die is similar to DS.

So far, I like the game and the new gameplay, but you shouldn't expect a new Souls game in just a different setting (I also like the Lovecraftian atmosphere), the levels are huge, but there isn't the same gameplay depth as in a Souls game. It's a nice change and appetizer while waiting for DS3, though.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Grimnirsson

Yup, I do have a bit of a problem with this rush-rush combat, there's less tactics in here compared to the wonderful combat choreography of DS. The style and atmo is nice, townsfolk remind me of those in Resi 4. I think I will just take a bit longer to unlearn my DS habits and to adjust to the new gameplay O:-)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Yskonyn

I haven't tried Bloodborne yet. But I am eagerly awaiting tomorrow's release of DS3!  O0
You guys play on Xbox, right? If not, then add me: Yskonyn