Divinity Original Sin

Started by Bison, June 30, 2014, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

So far it's a fantastic game.  I'd even go so far (barring any major game breaking bugs) as to suggest it may very well be the RPG of the year.  The turn based tactical combat is fantastic.  I find that as I get older, and my gaming time more limited, I hate twitchy games.  I hate having to react quickly with a mess of button mashing.  I just like to sit and ponder my moves.  It's been a good while since we've seen a truly turn based RPG with decent graphics. 

I'm really just getting into it, so the crafting and character building is a big, gigantic cloudy of mystery, enigma, and what not.  But there is oodles of depth to be explored. 

Anyone else playing this game?  I've started off my initial party with a fighter and a witch.  I might regret the no healer, but I suspect I'll be able to get a healer to round out my party as a hireling.  My understanding is you get the two characters you create and up to another two hirelings.  I what I need is a thief type character too to pick locks.  I love me looting locked chests without the need to bash them to smithereens first.

Anywho the game is good.  Damned good.

TheCommandTent

Ok, even though I should know better I went and looked at this game on STEAM.  It looks cool and it promises alot and Bison seems to like it but before I pull the trigger I would love to hear some other thoughts.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Can't remap controls to numpad.  Sucks.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 30, 2014, 05:45:37 PM

Is this something you've read or know from time in the game.  If it is from time spent in game, how is the rest of the game?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

Just saw that it was released today.  Looks pretty good and I am looking for a RPG to play.  As it's co-op and turn based, they may just get my money.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SgtRock

I picked up Divinity 2 during the steam sale and still playing that, it's a completely different game. I saw Divinity Original Sin on sale the last day of the Steam sale but, haven't seen enough info on it. It sure looks like the type of RPG I'd like, hope it's good but, just too leery of games that go on sale the day of release.

tgb

I quit work early to spend some time with it and it's great.  I haven't gotten very far, just the tutorial dungeon and the first big battle on the beach, but combat is very intuitive.  The only thing I wish is that once one character exhausts his or her movement points, the game would automatically switch to the next.

I'm playing with a fighter and a cleric, but may restart with something a bit more exotic.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2014, 06:10:39 PM
Just saw that it was released today.  Looks pretty good and I am looking for a RPG to play.  As it's co-op and turn based, they may just get my money.

If you do it I'll do it :)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 30, 2014, 05:50:08 PM

Is this something you've read or know from time in the game.  If it is from time spent in game, how is the rest of the game?

I know because I bought the damned thing during the Steam sale and it hasn't been fixed in the 3 patches since.  I haven't got any further than that because I turn it off as soon as I find that it doesn't work.

MetalDog

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 30, 2014, 06:35:46 PM

The $40 price tag is a little steep for me right now, and I want to see some more impressions from people I trust (looking at you, Bison), but, if it comes up aces, I can splurge.  You'll have to be my co-op buddy though. 

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2014, 07:12:06 PM

The $40 price tag is a little steep for me right now, and I want to see some more impressions from people I trust (looking at you, Bison), but, if it comes up aces, I can splurge.  You'll have to be my co-op buddy though.

Well, if you guys buy the collector's edition, you could split the cost and get all the goodies...pretty good deal:)  You can then spend $35, et the DLC (worth $9.99) and the two other old games.

"Includes two copies of Divinity: Original Sin, the Source Hunter DLC pack, plus Beyond Divinity and Divine Divinity. Send the second copy to a friend! (DLC will only be made available on release.)"

Bison

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 30, 2014, 06:40:27 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 30, 2014, 05:50:08 PM

I know because I bought the damned thing during the Steam sale and it hasn't been fixed in the 3 patches since.  I haven't got any further than that because I turn it off as soon as I find that it doesn't work.

You can remap the keys, but you cannot remap 1-0.  Those keys are the hot bar keys and I suspect the game cannot recognize the difference between 1-0 on the key board and 1-0 on the key pad that is on the same key board.  I'm not sure I'd call it broken but WAD.  It could be annoying if one is a southpaw, but there are work arounds.  Remap to use arrow keys for camera movement, ect....anyway to each their own.  I enjoy the game, but remapping keys isn't something I regularly do so it's neither here nor there for me.

Yes the game can be played coop.  One character per player.  I'm not sure how the dialog part will work.  The dialog so far is generally focused on whomever is the "leader" at the time the conversation starts. 

Bison

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 30, 2014, 07:17:49 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on June 30, 2014, 07:12:06 PM

Well, if you guys buy the collector's edition, you could split the cost and get all the goodies...pretty good deal:)  You can then spend $35, et the DLC (worth $9.99) and the two other old games.

"Includes two copies of Divinity: Original Sin, the Source Hunter DLC pack, plus Beyond Divinity and Divine Divinity. Send the second copy to a friend! (DLC will only be made available on release.)"

This is what I was going to recommend too.  I didn't get the DLC, because I didn't really see a need for it.  I'll let you know what I think of it Metaldog after I get a few more hours into the game.  I'm only about 2 hours played so far, but I really like what I've seen so far.  Ultimately I'm really excited to see how the fan base uses the developer tools to make modules for it.  It really could have longevity like NWN if they released the tools correctly.

Grim.Reaper

I will be watching for details....seems people throwing around it is the best ever...although every new game gets that title:)

Be interested to know what specifically makes this good....then I will have to buy myself:)

MetalDog

Sweet!  Thanks, Bison.

And I have to go back and re-read that part about splitting the cost and getting two copies.  Did I read that right?